Home Ec projects?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:21 AM

Default Home Ec projects?

I have the machine model I used in high school home economics class (Singer 404)(and the original seam ripper!) which got me to thinking about those projects

Well first we started out by sewing shapes and lines on paper, wonderful learning technique

Our first project was an apron. Probably 3/4 of a yard of fabric. edges were folded and stiched, then the fabric was stitched to itself leaving a huge pocket divided into four stitched down spaces. Top was folded over and stitched to create a sleeve to hold a curved plastic waistband.

No quilting, but those classes led to my passion for making quilts and started me off right on the basics that go into creating perfect seams, recognizing the warp and weft and how to make both work for us.

what was your first project?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I was an over achiever. I made a dress with a lined bolero as my first home ec project.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Well, I did make an apron in Home Ec class (it has a really cool cross-stitched patch on the chest which I am very proud of ) but I knew how to sew before that. My mom taught me, and at such an early age that I honestly don't remember what my official first project was.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583985[/ATTACH]

The apron is now in a shadow box frame that my MIL made for me, along with my athletic letters, girl scout patches, and all the other awards I won as a child.

That apron now makes me chuckle. I'm pretty sure my mom gave me that fabric because it was either really, really cheap, or it was one of those "what was I thinking" purchases. I thought it was hideous at the time but decided to embrace the colors by adding the flag in my cross-stitch.
Attached Thumbnails apron.png  
Old 11-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I had been sewing for quite a lot of time before my first sewing class. I took it for an easy A. The first item I made for 8th grade sewing was a dress. I did button holes for those who couldn't sew. and charges $1 per button hole and button. in 10th grade, I took a sewing course again for an easy A, and coz my mom wouldn't let me sew leather or suede. I did a jacket. in 11th grade, I took a quilting class. the rest is history
Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

We made an apron. It was gathered. It had long ties with 1/4 inch hems. We had to baste those things! It had a waistband that we attached the gathered skirt to. It was hideous.

Then we made dirndl skirts with waisband and button closure. I think some of us actually wore those skirts.

My daughter made a stuffed toy for her home-ec project. She did an excellent job on it.

Some of the girls that are "home-schooled" that are being taught by Kathy at the Church in Florida are doing fantastic things! Stuffed toys, moccasins, dresses, bags , baby booties - I am very impressed by what they are doing. One of the graduates is now attending a school of design school. One of the "patrons" of the sewing group gave her a torso/mannequin as a graduation gift.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:05 AM

I always chose woodshop over home ec, but I did take it as part of an "intro to..." class once (where you took a variety of classes for two weeks each, it was actually required to do this, to expose you to as many electives as they could, so you'd have a better feel for what you wanted to choose the next year).

In those two weeks, we made cinnamon rolls, mini pizzas on English Muffin bread, and sewed a windsock. The boys were having just as much fun as the girls, and we were all very proud of our windsocks.

Other than wanting to finish a quilt with a top made by my great-grandfather, I had no interest in learning how to sew, much to my mom's disappointment. That changed just over a year ago, when I suddenly discovered a lot of time to work on projects, and a desire to learn to sew and quilt everything I could. I didn't realize how much mom had wanted us to learn to sew, etc, until I finally started last year. All the women she worked with (she works at a JoAnns) would tell me she was so excited I had started, would talk about things I was working on, would look for fabric remnants for me, etc. My mom's not an excitable person, so I know it was special for her.

Anyway, in the last year, I've been sewing and quilting a ton! Most wood working ventures are on the back burner until I can build a shop, but I love that I can take the sewing (and crochet, and eventually knitting) anywhere!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

​My first home ec project was a skirt with a zipper. I got an A+
Old 11-17-2017, 09:59 AM

I made a Satin formal with the net over the skirt and the bones in the top. I was 13 yrs old. I love to sew!!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:38 AM

after my first day, featuring broiled bananas, i petitioned the school board with the help of my mother. at 14yrs of age i was cooking, cleaning and all laundry chores for a family of seven (mine) and made my own clothes. my scholastic focus was college prep and making aprons were not in my game plan. so, i petitioned and won but they still wouldn't let me graduate early like they do now, even tho i had more than enough credits. time progresses onward and so does the school system and my son was allowed to graduate his junior year with a 4.9 cumulative grade point average. i was ready to battle the schools again if needed ..i didn't want him to have to deal with what i had.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 PM

My first home ec project was a mini skirt. I got an F because I didn't stay stitch all the edges like the teacher instructed.