Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hostess Gift?

I need your suggestions. I am planning a trip to visit my daughter and her family to celebrate my granddaughter's first birthday. During that visit we will also celebrate another family member's birthday. I have been invited to stay (with my daughter & family) at her sister-in-law's home for several days. I would like to bring a small gift to thank the SIL for her hospitality. Since I am flying, space and weight are limited.

Any ideas?

How about a mug rug with matching mug filled with candy?

A picture frame? Depending on whose birthday it is and how the SIL is related to that person...

How about having flowers delivered to her?

Blog Entries
    We usually try to bring something from our area that is expensive or hard to get in the visited area. For instance we like to bring maple syrup from NE to our southern friends. Or we used to bring lobsters down years ago when we flew.

In your case, if you have the time, energy and interest you could do a small quilt, table topper or wall hanging with Kokkopelli or cactus or some other western theme. Or how about a string of chili's (maybe too fragile?).

Blog Entries
    I'd avoid any kind of food items - I've been told a bottle of wine is a good hostess gift, but what if they're in recovery? Same goes for candies, what if they're watching their weight, or are diabetic? You'd probably be safe with a lovely food basket, but that might be impractical to transport.

What's always worked for me is a "gourmet" soap & lotion set. I've picked them up from Bath & Bodyworks and I LOVE the Williams-Sonoma products. (The pink grapefruit scented one is amazing!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    A table runner? Something that is Southwestern to remember you by??

cjr
    Flowers are always a good choice. Since you quilt so beautifully, I'm sure they would be thrilled with a seasonal reversable table topper or wall hanging. Seasonal because it does not depend on house colors. Potholders?
    Something from Az like cactus jelly, a sand painting, a small Indian rug.
    have fun.

Blog Entries
    A lady I know makes up several pillow cases and keeps them handy to take when she travels. When she leaves she just puts one on a pillow.

Blog Entries
    mug rug, table runners, purse, reversible table runner, tote bag

Quote Originally Posted by Lynneander
    I need your suggestions. I am planning a trip to visit my daughter and her family to celebrate my granddaughter's first birthday. During that visit we will also celebrate another family member's birthday. I have been invited to stay (with my daughter & family) at her sister-in-law's home for several days. I would like to bring a small gift to thank the SIL for her hospitality. Since I am flying, space and weight are limited.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast