Hot spots on dog

Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 AM

Hi, I have a Golden Retriever that is constantly getting hot spots. We take him, to the vet, he gets steroid injection, antibiotics, sprays, creams etc. This takes the currant hot spot away but then a few weeks later another one comes up in a different spot. My husband takes him for a long walk once a week and he gets damp running through the bushes etc. The weather has cooled down and he is still getting them. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Cyn

I have never had skin problems with my dogs since using fish oil pills every day. Don't know if that would help or not. My jack russell has allergies and takes chlortrimaton everyday. 4mg each morning = 4 year problem solved. I give it to him everyday. I get generic on the shelf ones from Walmart per drs orders :)
Old 10-04-2011, 06:14 AM

My experience has been that the hot spots are allergies. Check his food and if there are grains, especially corn, try changing his food to a grain free food and see if this doesn't help. Also put hydrocortizone on it, trim around the hotspot and keep him from licking it (I know impossible)

Hope that helps, poor guy, it must be miserable to have a hot spot, they look so nasty.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 AM

Also forgot to mention if the grains don't help, try eliminating chicken...go to fish/lamb or something else. I have two dogs with chicken allergies. Because dogs foods are mostly made of chicken some dogs develop a chicken sensitivity and it creates problems. Try that, hope it helps. And this is certainly cheaper than a vet visit and easier on your dog than the steroids.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 AM

Is there corn in his dog food? Mine had hot spots too. We were told by a vet to get dog food without corn, and another reason could be tension and stress from a bigger dog coming into her life. She is an 8-yr-old Pomeranian.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Recently we had a discussion on this topic with lots of good suggestions. Maybe try the search function?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 AM

We had problems with our Papillion to the point she didn't have much hair left. We switched to Comfortis for her flea treatments, it's an oral medication, and have not had a problem since.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 AM

corn can be a big problem for dogs.. who knew??? My moms dog has the corn allergy too. Also the groomer told her to feed him a tablespoon ( he is a small dog... bigger dogs might need more-- either way it can't hurt him) of Limburger cheese..... that cleared his hotspots right up.....( the groomer said it was the oil in it , so the fish oil someone else mentioned might work the same way?)
Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 AM

Try Medicated Gold Bond Powder. It will dry up the spot plus give some relief to the itching. I used it on my dog last year and it worked like a charm. When I got him at 3 y/o the owner said he was prone to hot spots. I switched him to a fish and potato diet and this is the only time in three years that he has had a problem. But the powder worked a miracle!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:38 AM

I have used CornStarch to dry up hot spots.

This was just sent to me today.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...infection.aspx