Housework

Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 AM

Spring cleaning??? Really???
Clean what is dirty and quilt the rest of the time.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 AM

I have a birthday cake to bake, an acre of weeds and the weekly laundre isn't quite done. There is a sewing convention and competition in Reno in June I am on the fence about because I don't know if I will find the time. Two baby quilts and a sofa cushion on the list before pattern-making. A-r-r-r-g
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 AM

I am spring cleaning sort of .. I just moved in with a friend of mine , she bought a house and the timing was right , I needed a place to live. Soo I am cleaning all her things before they come in the new house. (she isn't well,actually she is worse physically than I am) . Once I get all her things in I will figure out what room is left for mine. Then I can sew Its kinda nice really to be taken care of a house again.LOL no I haven't hit my head on anything.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Only you know what are "must do's" vs. "need to do's" but not necessarily
One tactic I do is ... set my chore goals for the day allowing some quilting time.d
That way I have my reward dangling to get those chorese done.

Examples ...
Chores in the morning, then quilt in the afternoon.
Or
Chores til 4pm, then start supper, quilt til it's ready, eat, then more quilting til bed time.
Or
No quilting til the task of the day is done ... amazing how fast I can get some of those done in the end!
And so on!
Your schedule sounds like a very "working" one. I may have to try your way...thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maryb44662 View Post
Your schedule sounds like a very "working" one. I may have to try your way...thanks!
When I work the plan ... the plan works for me!
It doesn't mean that it's the solution for everyone though.

I have an extra thing in the balancing act ... I have my office in my home. Sometimes it's too easy to say, oh I'll cut work early and go and sew or to do a load of laundry or wash dishes (imagine that!) etc.!! Likewise it's all too easy to work too many hours on the paying stuff ... and then the house chores get skipped and/or there is no ME time left.

It took me a long time to learn that the ME time is a MUST ... if I want to keep my sanity, and to recharge my batteries for all the other things that life throws at me and that I must accomplish. That ME time for me is to make time to sit and sew. I know it makes me a better person for all else in life. Once I came to that realization that I was IMPORTANT and had to be cared for more-so than other things, I changed my whole outlook on time management to include it!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

I room at a time / a day
Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 AM

I hired a cleaning lady, best move ever! Had a big health scare last fall and now ongoing issues and decided that something had to go. I work full time, run and home base sewing repair shop and use to be able to do it all. Not any more. Should have done that a long time ago.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:25 AM

I have read about people taking Ambien or other sleep RX doing weird things like cooking and shopping. I always thought I'd love it if I took it and got up and cleaned the whole house without knowing about it!

Seriously, I had plans to do some Spring cleaning, then it got warm. That was my excuse for a while. I like the idea of setting a timer and just cleaning any spot for 10 minutes. You'll find yourself going past the timer and "getting it done"
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 AM

I took the easy way out of housecleaning. I have a maid that comes in once a week. I live alone so things don't get that bad. Weekly she cleans the whole house and each week takes a certain area to deep clean. She did my pantry this week and from one that was very disorganized it is now easy to find what I need. This next week she will do the utility room. It sure makes things easier for me.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by elseebee View Post
My DH was quite shocked when I asked him if he'd ever consider polygamy. Then he realized what I was getting at when I said it'd be okay with me if he found another wife who loved to clean and garden. That way I could spend all my time in my sewing room or out shopping for more stash!
Love your way of thinking!!! Wonder if my hubby would go for that? he he I asked him and he just laughed at me. I guess he figures he can hardly handle one wife, much less two wives.