how can people be bored?

Old 07-07-2013, 11:27 AM

Default how can people be bored?

My work place was on vacation shutdown last week, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time off, and wish I could be home more. But some of my co-workers posted on FB that they are bored, ready to go back. I don't understand that thinking. I had quilts to work on, books to read, games to play, fun times with family, etc. Even on days when we did absolutely nothing, I wasn't bored. I'm almost 58, been working since I was 15, is it a generational thing? Even when my kids were young, there was always something to do, ride bikes, go to the pool or park. I don't remember being bored since I was a kid.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Personally, I think it's more of a mind-set than a generational thing. I'm never bored either, and I'm a generation younger than you. Some people just don't know how to relax, I guess.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:44 AM

It always surprises me too. I worked in an office all of my adult life until I retired five years ago. It feels so good not to live on a schedule, to spend as much time doing anything that strikes my fancy. Even get the occasional comment about, "How can you stay home so much?" Easy; love my hobbies and love my home. I don't think I will ever get bored.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:56 AM

I am not far from your age so I agree! I was off last week for vacation with my husband and after two days we don't want to retire yet! Seems like those that retire have too much going on! Our neighbors are too busy. They stress me out! My husband and I were busy the first few days and both mention we weren't ready to retire yet if we were going to work harder than we did at work.

Nope. Not bored at all. We always have something to do or something going on. I don't want to go back to work yet either! Ha!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:58 AM

Bored - never - If I want to work outside I have the lawn and flowers to take care of. Outbuildings to be cleaned out and sorted. Inside - lots of quilting projects, organizing projects. Always have grandkids activities to go to. Right now 5 are in baseball; in a couple months 2 will be in football and 1 in soccer. There is always a nice walk to go on or just a breeze to enjoy.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:07 PM

I am also am on vacation...we are hanging out here at home. so much to do...its been awesome. Finished a quilt, made a Burlap wreath, made PJ's this morning, a fun Burlap runner for my flowers. Planted flowers, painted base boards. Cleaned the downstairs. Cleanned out my sewing room today. 4 bags of tiny scraps in the trash, One large bag for goodwill. Gave my son a bunch of stuff to sell... Doctor visits tomorrow...so glad I have next week off too....I have to clean the entire upstairs and get rid of stuff...that is so key. I have a hard time throwing stuff out, but for some reason find it easier when I have the week off and not so tired. I would not mind retiing...but still have remodeling to do. We also would like to add an addition so I can have a huge room and get a long arm. Have fun during your time off. Best vacation ever...hanging out at home and doing days trips ; )

Last edited by carolaug; 07-07-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 PM

I will be 57 next Sunday and I must agree with all of you! I get so tired of hearing both adults and children complain about being bored! People today seem to think they have to be 'entertained' every waking moment. I am on summer vacation from school right now an I have not been bored at all. I have read, gardened, weeded flower beds, tackled cleaning various rooms in the house, sewn, helped a couple of young 4hers with their projects, and lots of other things. I can honestly say I have not been bored one moment. I have noticed that kids at school complain to their parents that they are bored with things at school...my interpretation is that they simply do not want to do the things that are there for them to do.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Well.... based on observation and personal experience with a couple of co-workers, I suspect that oftentimes a child complaining of boredom is really wanting some play time and attention from a parent who is simply too busy.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

I think some of the boredom comes from some of the video games, especially if it's the same game. I don't do them. I'm too busy doing other things like seeing what's happening on the QUILTING BOARD.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM

I hear a number of retired folk talking about being bored and having nothing to do. Blows my mind.
My friend Bobbie and I talked about it and both of us concluded that we would need at least three lifetimes to do all the things we would like to do!
I have come to believe that boredom is a mindset and a choice. And possibly also a sign of depression.