Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How did it take me this long? >

How did it take me this long?

How did it take me this long?

Old 01-25-2014, 05:05 PM

I did it a few months ago and the needle broke and got me again before the machine stopped. One piece went all the way through and stuck out both sides and the other went in and hit the bone. I thought my husband was going to be sick when he saw it. He wanted to go to the ER, but I pulled them out myself. We put the pieces next to a whole needle to make sure we got it all out, but now I think there is chrome left inside because one of the holes won't heal right and the others you can't even see. If you look really close you can see something inside. I figure it will work it's way out eventually.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 PM

Sorry you had this experience. But I will say, I am quite impressed with your one-fingered/wine-enabled typing!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Sewed mine last year on my mid-arm. Grabbed my finger, with piece of needle still in it, and ran out to DH's woodshop. I told him what I had done and said "is it still attached?" of course it was but I needed reassurance. Funny thing is DH and I are both retired nurses. ( His last 8 yrs E.R. and I worked cardiac.) Anyway, I have this thing about toenails and fingernails and blood around them. I can handle the gory surgeries and wounds, but no blood around nails. Silly I know, but I used to trade wound care with other nurses to do my pts. nails. Now you know my nurse secret!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

Ouch!!!! So sorry!!!!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 PM

It hasn't happened to me yet, but it did happen to my kitty as he was watching me sew. He's OK but stays away from the sewing machine now
Old 01-25-2014, 11:26 PM

I did it when I was 10 years old - the needle was all the way thru my left index finger, and I wasn't sure what to do, so said "ouch" very calm, and asked my mom to help. She thought I was just teasing and when she saw it, she turned the wheel which lifted the needle out of my finger. The needle went in next to the nail and just next to the bone, out the other side, but didn't hurt until after the needle was out. My mother almost passed out, I was so afraid she wasn't going to let me use the machine again, but she thought I just learned to be more careful. She could not believe how I stayed calm the entire time. (Never used her machine unless she was home until I was in high school.)
Old 01-26-2014, 03:01 AM

My mother told me that her mother sewed her finger then fainted over the sewing machine.

I've never done it, knock-on-wood. But I've got myself with the rotary twice. Just took enough skin off to be painful for weeks. The second time I realized I needed to hold my hand above my heart to slow the blood.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:05 AM

Yes that happened to me but was too embarrased to mention it to anyone.I was alone and counted to 10 before removing the broken needle out of my finger.I know I turned white and worried more about getting blood on the quilt and what would happen to my dog if I fainted. Now I can laugh....
Old 01-26-2014, 05:36 AM

A long time ago, the needle went into the middle of my fingernail. I remember the pain. Heal quickly and well.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:55 AM

I did that years ago, when I was pregnant with my daughter. She is now 43. My son was six at the time and it scared him half to death. Still doesn't want to see blood. Hope you heal quickly. I know it hurts.