Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How did you make a bed skirt? >

How did you make a bed skirt?

How did you make a bed skirt?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Default dust ruffle with elastic

Because of dust mite allergies, I wash mine about every other month. We don't have the strength to keep lifting the mattess to get it back on, so here's what I did.
-I cut the dust ruffle away from the sheet thing, leaving a couple of inches so I could fold and make it look neat and I sewed it down the length of the dust ruffle.
- Then I took some 1" elastic and sewed it to the back side of the dust ruffle near the top edge.
- Wall side. Took some white bias tape I had, and cut it a little less than the width of the mattress. Sewed velcrow to the two ends of the tape and matching velcrow to the ends of the dustruffle.
- When the dustfuffle started to sag, I cut two widths of cotton tape about 1/2 " wide the width of the mattress and slid them under the matress, one about 1/3rd down from the wallside and one another 1/3rd down. I pin the ends of the tape (with large quilt safety pins) to the dustruffle (it was sagging in those areas.
It's a snap to unpin the dust ruffle and undo the velcrow to wash it and get it back on.
I tried iron on velcrow on another dust ruffle and it would not hold; even hot glued it down and it would hot hold.
Let us know what you decide.
Annette
Old 09-22-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
I was commissioned to do one and also made one for my own bed. Took an idea from a catalog I saw this in. You make your ruffle then add about a 4-6" leader on top. to this leader edge you can either add velcro and or use those spiral pins with the clear plastic heads, I think they are called 'Tidy Pins', Grandma used them to keep her dollies on the arms of the chairs. By using this method you have just enough under the mattress, so you don't kill your fingers when you change the sheets and it is super easy to take off and put on.....an easy way way for your gathering would be to divide and divide. Divide your top piece in half and then quarters and then your ruffle material, that way you get the same amount of fullness all the way across. Doing the skirt in third parts is an excellent idea, you just might want to overlap your corners an inch or two, which would be easy to do. I would make the foot piece longer so it wraps around the corner and apply it first, then the sides just to the corner, should look sharp and professional.
Thank you, Deborahlees! I need to make one too, and your instructions are very clear. One thing that's especially nice about making them in three parts like this is that if you ever want to use it on a different size bed you could easily add to it (if you have the matching fabric) or reduce the length by overlapping more at the corners. Also, the length from mattress to floor could be adjusted by tucking in more or less.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmaJeanne View Post
When I made my bed skirt to match my quilt on the bed, I purchased a mattress cover the size of the box spring. I made the ruffled bed skirt, and then I sewed it right to the mattress cover right on the seam. It doesn't shift and so easy to do. Hope this helps ya, as this is the only way I would do it.
I like that idea - - gave me some thought. Been thinking of making a bed skirt but hadn't put pen to paper yet. Thanks.

Marysewfun
Old 09-23-2012, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I made one, but used a sheet under the box spring. It annoys me as it slides around. I love the idea of using velcro to attatch the sides.
My question for you is how does a big dog get under the bed? My guy scoots under the bed, and comes out on the other side. He thinks it's funny to be chased. As for the dog hair...Ughhhh. Would not deal well with it. My guy doesn't shed.I will find toys under, or chewy bones.
She just kinda shimmies under the bed. I don't see how she does it but she does. Here is a picture of her and Buddy (he's 14#).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]364791[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]364794[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1-11-30-08-00001.jpg   1-bear-fade.jpg  

Last edited by Dollyo; 09-23-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:44 AM

I've read all of your postings. Some great ideas. I think I like the mattress cover or fitted sheet idea. I also like the box pleat w/contrasting inside. It won't work for this fabric, but I'm keeping it in mind for another one, because there will be more than one. I'm sticking w/the Velcro idea. I will look for industrial strength Velcro (some quilters use it to attach their leaders to their rails). Thanks for all your suggestions.
DollyO