How do I sew on THIS?

Old 10-31-2016, 07:30 PM

I do a lot of garment sewing and used to do formal wear. Lots of pins on velvet usually work. If it's rayon/silk velvet and not velveteen also be very careful when pressing. Use a needle board or a thick towel to avoid crushing the nap. If you have problems with it slipping with pins, basting would be my next suggestion.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

When I was about 13, i made a pair of deep green velvet pants. what a mess. I found basting the pieces together worked for me. it took a bit more time, but it was easier to assemble. If pressing velvet you need a needleboard. they are pricey. I WOULDN'T glue anything. it may go thru the fabric and ruin it. At this point, hand sew after using lots of silk pins or paperclips. As you sew by hand, you'll see the fabric nesting itself into the fabric you're sewing. Basting is the key here. Olease show us what you do.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:39 AM

I would do some hand basting before sewing on the machine so pieces will stay in place. You can also try using some tear-away stabilizer on the back.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:01 AM

Try using Wash away wonder tape. Available at Walmart, JoAnn's or Amazon. There are several vendors that offer the same product. I have used it to attach zippers, pockets and other items.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:01 AM

I agree--no glue. I'd be afraid it will glue the "fuzzy" together. Am I remembering correctly that velvet has a nap just as corduroy does? Have to think on that when cutting the garment out as it makes a difference how the velvet catches the light.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I agree--no glue. I'd be afraid it will glue the "fuzzy" together. Am I remembering correctly that velvet has a nap just as corduroy does? Have to think on that when cutting the garment out as it makes a difference how the velvet catches the light.
Good point, Illinois. Velvet does indeed have a nap that you need to be conscious of.

Another thing you need to watch is that since it's not washable "washaway" type products will probably remain in.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:56 PM

glue stick
Old 11-03-2016, 06:00 PM

I have a wonderful tool for use with fabrics with deep pile. It's called a needle board. You use it for ironing the fabric. Put the fabric face down on the board with the board's needle side up. The board's needles will support and protect the pile of the fabric. Read the instructions as to what steam or no steam and how hot, etc. Iron on the back of the fabric.

As always, please test, test, test before you completely commit to any procedure or tool you aren't familiar with. I, personally, do not like looking at something and wondering what possessed me and what I was going to do now. "No surprises" might be considered one of my mantras.

Best of luck.