Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you season your Cast Iron Skillets?

Blog Entries
    How do you season your Cast Iron Skillets?

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Never wash them.
    I use mine to saute onions, cook bacon, toast grilled sandwiches, pan-fry steak, that sort of thing. And immediately after use, while the pan is still hot I run it under hot water, use a soap-free scrubby, rinse until clear, and let dry on the hot/turned off burner. Use mine almost every day, love them!

Jan in VA

I have the one my mother used, and do what Jan does to keep it seasoned.

I had one that was new and needed seasoning. I did it this way:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...519/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Never wash them.
    I use mine to saute onions, cook bacon, toast grilled sandwiches, pan-fry steak, that sort of thing. And immediately after use, while the pan is still hot I run it under hot water, use a soap-free scrubby, rinse until clear, and let dry on the hot/turned off burner. Use mine almost every day, love them!

Jan in VA
    Same here. i found one at a garage sale, took it home and ran hot water over it and dried it with a papertowel. Then rubbed crisco on it and placed it in a 350 oven for about an hour. let it cool and wiped off the excess crisco. The bit of rust that was on it was gone. It's now just as shiny and nice as the one I've used for 33+ yrs.

Blog Entries
    I season mine on the stove top. I let it heat dry, then add a drop or so of vegetable oil and wipe around the bottom and sides. Continue to let it heat with the oil in it for 15 - 20 minutes.

When I wash mine...yes I do too...I wash with dish soap and hot water. To dry it I place it back on the burner and let it get hot until the water evaporates, then I wipe it with oil on a paper towel again. I've had the same set of skillets for over 30 years and still counting.

After washing with hot water and green scrubby, I dry and then add a tad of oil and wipe with paper towel. I keep mine out on stove top for use every day. Here's a link you might like even though it is for dutch ovens- great recipes and care tips.

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

The key to keeping the cast iron skillet seasoned is never use an abrasive cleaner. I use the method described by bakermom but at 475 degrees to season. Along time ago, I read that you should heat your skillet first, then add oil
    or spray for cooking. I have one skillet that I use for bacon or any other food that has a lot of salt. Salty food wil cause food to stick.

I've tried twice and ended up throwing them away. My Dh's grandmother had several for over 50 years and could not believe I could cook without cast iron. My Magnalite works beautifully and needs no cuddling.

Blog Entries
    If I season after the pan is clean I use mineral oil because it doesn't go rancid and it's edible.

I also use mineral oil on my wood cutting boards.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast