Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How "God Bless America Should be Sung"....

I think different generations find different styles to be patriotic. Many folks would prefer Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American". They're not less patriotic, just not a Kate Smith fan.

Blog Entries
    God Bless America! Tears, pride, love of country and I wonder why we never hear it anymore. What a shame for the younger people. I can't get through singing God Bless America, Battle Hymn of the Republic or OUR National Anthem without bawling. And proud to do same. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Our children don't have the ability to feel what we feel when we hear this song. This song with the word "God" in it, is not permitted to be sung in schools. The ACLU would be screaming at the court house doors.
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Thank You. I had forgotten how beautiful she sings this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the memories love to hear the song sung perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    I think different generations find different styles to be patriotic. Many folks would prefer Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American". They're not less patriotic, just not a Kate Smith fan.
    God Bless America is not a song that the average person with the average voice can sing. Kate Smith's voice is beautiful. One of the reasons they have professional singers at games to lead the singing is that it is so hard to sing. Proud To Be An American is a much easier song to sing because it does not hit the high notes. Please do not equate not having a professional singing voice with being un American. And a song like Proud To Be An American is Inclussive, not Exclussive.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Thanks for the memories. I have to say that my reaction years ago was not quite as awe-inspiring as it is today. Amazing the difference a few (?) years can make. I am going to forward the site to many friends, Thanks again.

I so agree with you. She sings it so great.
    Theresa

Thank you for sharing this plus the story. That was the song that carried us through the next hard years. I was in high school and we sang it in the glee club after it was introduced by Kate Smith. And we sang it on the day after Pearl Harbor as we gathered to hear the Declaration of War and FDR give his Day of Infamy speech.

Blog Entries
    Thank you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast