Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How have you gone "Greener"? >

How have you gone "Greener"?

How have you gone "Greener"?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:58 PM

1)Take newspapers, magazines, aluminum cans, etc to the recycling place.
2) We do not purchase liters of soda anymore
3) We do not purchase bottled water for use at home....use a Brita instead. I do keep a case of bottled water in my classroom for my use 'cause I don't care for the taste of the school's water.
4) We compost.
5) I take the reusable shopping bags to the grocery store.

I do not purchase food items that say 'organic'...they are more expensive and not worth it to me.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
I don't think there's a thing wrong with caring about the earth and teaching our future generations to do so as well.
Just because there's no tangible reward for THIS generation doesn't mean there won't be one for future generations. I'm sad about the 'if it doesn't benefit ME than it's not worth it' generation. I suppose that's one reason this country is leaving such a horrible financial legacy to our kids...the 'let someone else fix it' mindset.

You can write off Gore and his pro environmental pals if you like but at it's core, the message of caring for anything we take for granted is a sound one.
I don't remember anyone saying she doesn't care about this earth....I hang out my clothes to dry (aren't solar dryers wonderful and gosh, cheap too). I have low-flush toilets (I used to have bricks or coffee cans in the tanks before we replaced perfectly good toilets) and only run my 2 year old dishwasher (first one I've ever owned and I'm 67 yrs old) once a week to save water. This is just a small part of what most of us do. I don't know if you can change the minds of the ME generation, I don't have much hope for the city bred ones but I'll back up the countrified ones to the hilt.

I don't know if you're aware of this but Gore and his environmental pals (EPA) is trying to outlaw carbon dioxide. The trees need it to live and if you stop supplying it, everything would DIE. I am so sick and tired of watching farms dry up for lack of water to save a little bitty fish that are surely the last ones on earth. I could go on and on and on about the abuse Gore and the EPA have thrust upon us. Actually I thought we were doing pretty darn good saving the planet from our little corner of the world. At least we don't throw human waste out the bedroom window onto the streets anymore.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

You can write off Gore and his pro environmental pals if you like.... I did and liked it a lot.

I taught my kids to be mindful of waste of any resource, trees to money to brain cells. Odd the new young mover and shakers of the world forget all about their do good thoughts when all of a sudden they are in charge. I've seen so many change their eco ways almost over night when the big money salary is there for the taking. And they take and never look back.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:55 PM

I guess I was raised to be green. My grandparents taught us not to be wasteful. We didn't buy anything unless we really needed it. If it could be fixed we fixed it. I'm still that way today. We cook at home and my kids ate what I made. None of this short order cooking that some do. We watch our utilities and try to keep them down. Why give our hard earned money to someone else. I reuse anything I can because I don't want it going to a landfill and I don't want to spent money on something when I can use a little creativity and use something I already have. I recycle all paper and cardboard because we have a local place that uses it to make insulation and it created local jobs. I recycle pop cans because our local youth uses the money from the cans to do things from trips for school to building things for our park and ball fields. Sorry but I just don't believe in the "ME" generation who just thinks that everything is disposable and that all the things they throw out won't come back to kick them in the butt later on. Yes the world will keep spinning if we don't recycle but if you can do something that will make it better why wouldn't you?