Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many have breast cancer >

How many have breast cancer

How many have breast cancer

Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 PM

I had breast cancer in 2000, it did not show on mammogram, I found it myself doing my BSE and I insisted it be biopsied. It was very early, so I had a lumpectomy and 37 radiation treatments plus 5 years of tamoxifen/femara/ and some others (I had severe hot flashes, as many as 24 a day in my waking hours!!! Yee haw!!). My mom died at age 68 of lung and bone cancer, my sister died at 68 of lung and liver cancer, although she'd had uterine cancer and bladder cancer at earlier ages plus lupus. I did not for one second look at my cancer as anything other than a medical problem I needed to take care of. I am always vigilant, but not expecting to find anything. PLEASE do you self breast exams on a regular basis so you know what they should feel like and can easily recognize any changes. If you're unsure how, ask your doctor. My doctor was very suprised to see the result of my biopsy, I was relieved to have an answer so I could take action. Your health is YOUR responsibility. Demand good care and educate yourself!

To those who are cancer free..you did it!!
To those who are walking the path..keep putting one foot in front of the other, you WILL reach your destination! You ARE strong.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM

I'm a 7 yr survivor. Only had a partial mastectomy and a reduction on the right side so I would be "cirmectrical". Having always been big busted, by sister sat on the edge of my bed and observed, So you're getting what you always wanted! Wierd thing about it is when I was finished with my chemo, she was operated on for breast cancer a month later! I told her she didn't have to copy everything I do!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:36 PM

I'm a survivor!!!! Had breast cancer once in 1994-95 and then again 2007-2009. Have had a double masectomy and had the whole nine yards with treatments both times. Yes, cancer changes your whole prospective on life. I love my quilting and enjoy life everyday.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by mommaB
I had breast cancer in 2000, it did not show on mammogram, I found it myself doing my BSE and I insisted it be biopsied. It was very early, so I had a lumpectomy and 37 radiation treatments plus 5 years of tamoxifen/femara/ and some others (I had severe hot flashes, as many as 24 a day in my waking hours!!! Yee haw!!). My mom died at age 68 of lung and bone cancer, my sister died at 68 of lung and liver cancer, although she'd had uterine cancer and bladder cancer at earlier ages plus lupus. I did not for one second look at my cancer as anything other than a medical problem I needed to take care of. I am always vigilant, but not expecting to find anything. PLEASE do you self breast exams on a regular basis so you know what they should feel like and can easily recognize any changes. If you're unsure how, ask your doctor. My doctor was very suprised to see the result of my biopsy, I was relieved to have an answer so I could take action. Your health is YOUR responsibility. Demand good care and educate yourself!

To those who are walking the path..keep putting one foot in front of the other, you WILL reach your destination! You ARE strong.
I take tomoxifen..and the hot flashes are unbelievable! You are so right, 25 plus a day.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 PM

My original post is on page 2 of this topic.

How many of you suffer/suffered from chemo brain? It has affected my memory and I have never regained it completely.
Can't read and tell anything any more in detail. Takes a long time to recall facts. I would hate to be taking classes right now. Not sure that I could pass a test. ha It has been almost ten years since I finished chemo. My friend and cousin had this, too. I have read about it online, also.

People aren't sympathetic about it.
They always say, "Oh, I have that, too. It is our age." It may be to a small degree, but it is more than that. Grrrr :)
Old 10-03-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
Originally Posted by mommaB

I take tomoxifen..and the hot flashes are unbelievable! You are so right, 25 plus a day.
I told my oncologist that I will not take tamoxifen. Just too many side effects for me.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu
I am a 12 yr breast cancer survivor. Not too happy with all the side effects of the treatments, etc. and no, I did not have much support from family and friends - guess they were afraid that they might "catch" it.
That is too bad that your family/friends were like that.