Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How much do you tip a hairdresser? >

How much do you tip a hairdresser?

How much do you tip a hairdresser?

Old 12-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Default How much do you tip a hairdresser?

For example, tomorrow I will get highlights but no haircut. If $80, how much would you tip???
Old 12-09-2014, 08:05 PM

In my neck of the woods .. 20 percent is considered the norm. It got to be too much for me when highlights ( all over ) got to $165 with the cut .. not including the tips.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

i'd give $15 good luck
$16 is 20%
Old 12-10-2014, 01:16 AM

It depends on the service I receive. If she is working someone who walked in without an appointment in between those of us who made an appointment and we have to wait, not so much. However, if she gives us good service, 20%.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:42 AM

In salons where the stylist rents her chair and space I do not tip as much. They are business owners. The eighty dollars you would pay, less her wholesale supplies and combined with the fact that most do not work on just one client at a time, works to be about profit of thirty-sixty dollars an hour (this would include the chair rental already taken out). That is wages of many service industry professionals like the plumber/electrician/appliance repair and others who end up at a lower range than the stylist because the overhead for their businesses is so much higher. It is not standard to tip these other service professionals and times have changed things. Very rarely, unless at a place where the stylist is an employee (this is usually at national discount chains) do stylists not rent their chair space. WE don't tip even the lowest pay scale hospital person so why tip a stylist who already is making three or four times more than a hospital kitchen worker or tech? We tip waitstaff because they are paid a much lower minimum wage as their pay is tip-based. So, if the stylist is her own business and rents her space and pays a bit of royalty, I give a token five bucks. If I am her only client the entire time, then I would pay ten. I am not by nature a cheap tipper. Just this week gave the waitress at IHOP ten bucks for a breakfast bill of $26. Cosmetology schools and programs even include small business classes and training as most will either own their own salon or rent booth space as a small business owner. Now going to Great Clips is different. Anyone from this family runs in there for a haircut, since stylists are employees and not self-employed, we will tip fifteen dollars on a twelve dollar haircut or at least pay with a twenty and not take any change back for the the special 10.99 haircut. So, we are not cheap tippers but the new breed of stylists are business owner professionals who are making more than an RN sometimes. A salon would increase their customer loyalty base if they raised their prices 5-10% and marketed as a no-tip salon. Many, many people get tip anxiety as they get closer and closer to paying the bill.

Last edited by yobrosew; 12-10-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:54 AM

Argh! I hate tipping! But that's a rant for another day.

To me, a tip is not a "given". It is a gratuity earned by level of service provided. So, whether it is my hairdresser, waitress, whatever, I generally tip according to this criteria. If I get fair service, I tip 10%, if service is "as expected" I give 15% and if it is above and beyond, 20%. So for an $80 service, that would either be $8, $12 or $16, depending on how everything goes and how satisfied you are with the service and outcome.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:42 AM

20%. Yes she owns the salon and she rents the spaces BUT due to my eratic work schedule, i often have to reschedule my appts. I try to give a few days heads up but still an inconvenience for both of us. I justify the tip in that I don't buy her a Christmas gift (suggested amount is the full price of the salon visit). I feel like I am generous every month. She does a nice job on my cut, color, highlights, etc. I have been going to her for 12 years...even prior to her buying the shop.

sandy
Old 12-10-2014, 04:28 AM

20% is the norm here as well. I go to a regular salon and my stylist is a part time employee there. Typically I'm only getting a cut and eyebrow wax. Sometimes it's just bangs and a wax. But the service I get from this person is wonderful. As far as she is concerned, there is no one else in the shop but me at the time. Works for me.

I was going to another shop several years ago and the owner was the stylist. My cut was fitted in between other colorings, etc. Half the time my hair wasn't even completely dry when I walked out of the shop. Hence the reason I'm now going to another shop!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Argh! I hate tipping! But that's a rant for another day.

To me, a tip is not a "given". It is a gratuity earned by level of service provided. So, whether it is my hairdresser, waitress, whatever, I generally tip according to this criteria. If I get fair service, I tip 10%, if service is "as expected" I give 15% and if it is above and beyond, 20%. So for an $80 service, that would either be $8, $12 or $16, depending on how everything goes and how satisfied you are with the service and outcome.
Your answer is probably the most helpful answer to the original question.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:11 AM

When I get a 412 haircut I tip her $3, When I get my hair colored for$42 I tip her $11 - $3 for the hair cut and $8 for the coloring. This Dec. when I get my hair cut I will tip her $25 and give her a small wall hanging. This is the only year she is getting the wall hanging.