Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How much does snowplowing cost? >

How much does snowplowing cost?

How much does snowplowing cost?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:41 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Just wondering... if you hire someone to snowplow your driveway, how much does it cost you?

My mother hires someone, and she used to pay $350, but now he wants $489 for the season.

I'm not any good at estimating driveway length, but her driveway is 2 cars wide.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM

Ouch! we pay a local guy $20 each time I needed it plowed. Last winter I needed it plowed only 4 or 5 times. I have a really big u-shaped drive way.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:49 PM

My husband plows in the winter for a longer drive with room for 2 cars he says $35 or $40 each time. He says if you pay by the year and do not get much snow that year you loose.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 PM

There are many answers to that question. Before anyone can give you an estimate are is alot of info they need to know. Where does she live? What time of day does she expect the driveway to be plowed by? Does it include any hand shoveling? Not only how long is her driveway, but how wide is it? Is there room for the plowed snow to go to?
And then you need to know that when someone gives you the price per season, they have to estimate their projected costs. Such as fuel increases, how bad was last winter and did they loose their shirt by not estimating high enough?

Last but in my opinion this is very important-how reliable are they and how good of a job do they do? Then ask around in the area where your mom lives and get estimates and recommendations from others who pay to get their plowing done.

Good Luck,
Kat
Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 PM

that sounds reasonable to us (just asked DH). some charge by the job which could cost over $100 per trip. being that you live in Buffalo (the snowiest place ever), don't think you could get a better deal.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:10 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

My Mom is 87 and doesn't drive anymore; she doesn't even have a car. She is primarily housebound. So it really does not matter what time of day the driveway gets plowed. It just needs to be kept sort-of-open so that the mailman can pull in and out (he is kind enough to bring the mail right to her door).

The plow driver can pull in on an angle and push the snow sideways off onto her lawn; she doesn't care about how it looks.

Oh - and Syracuse usually gets a bit more snow than Buffalo. They're somehow just not as famous for it!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 PM

This also keeps her driveway open for any emergency situations. The peace of mind of having it open could be well worth it.

Given the higher prices for fuel and insurance, he may be quite reasonable. Perhaps you can ask him to clear just one lane for a lesser price if that is an option.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:39 PM

DH shovels if we get snow of less than 2 inches.... over that.. we pay per time....( we pay monthly and actually get a bill per month) we pay $25 if it's alot of heavy snowand $15 for an avg amt...( I know.. how decides?) we have a drive way one car wide and two cars long... plus a small porch.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 PM

My DH has a tractor and snowblower mounted on the back and likes to make $60/hour. He usually charges $20 for a town driveway and can do four in an hour if they are close. The equipment is expensive and the liability insurance keeps going up so blowing snow will not make anyone a fortune.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:51 AM

This thread reminded me of a funny, but true story. A friend of mine,who grew up in North Carolina, was moving to NJ. While looking at homes, the realtor said that plowing was included with the home (dues). My friend took a good look around and said "Don't think we will need plowing, we won't be having a garden".