How old is Grandma?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm
I received polio sugar cubes, no shots, and I'm 54.
I did also and I am 62.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Things I remember:

Walking a mile to catch the bus when I was in grade school
No kindergarten
Ice Cream carts in the summertime (the kind that teenagers peddled around neighborhoods selling popsicles and fudge bars)
Moon Pies (the large ones they used to sell)
Penny candy
When Black Jack gum was 1st sold
Polio vaccines in liquid form
People actually getting polio
Nuclear bomb drills at school
playing outside all day, every day even in winter
A pump outside for water
Water pipes being installed in our neighborhood and then Dad running pipes to our house so we could have running water
An outhouse, no inside bathroom
Taking a bath in a wash tub

I could go on and on - I'm 58.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 AM

"Grandma" forgot to add that tv wasn't on 24 hrs a day, (at 11 PM, the "test pattern" came on for the night, right after the National Anthem was played), there were only a few channels on tv, and there was no such thing as remote control (unless you count the kids who got up to change channels), that music came in sizes 33 1/3, 45 or 78 rpm, that transistor radios were THE gadget to have.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 AM

The 2nd World war ended in 1945. All the convenience stuff and fast food etc. started gradually after that war. We are talking 66 years since that war. a little later came the better appliances including TV. After the Viet Nam war came the drugs. Then the high tech explosion with emphasis on entertainment which continues today. If anyone can improve on this - please do. I think it is a good basis for figuring out how old grandma should be. Fifty nine is cutting it close.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm
I received polio sugar cubes, no shots, and I'm 54.
I remember the sugar cubes too. I'm 58.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:41 PM

We were the first ones to have a TV in our house. We were poor, but my dad made a bet with a guy and won a TV.
It had a ROUND screen about 8 or 9 inch across. That's how old I am.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Happy times!! I remember traveling to my grandparents 500 miles away in the hot summertime with us kids all in the back seat and the windows all down blowing the hot air in our faces! Stopping at the Root Beer Barrel for a tall frosty glass of root beer and a spanish hot dog setting on the trays that hung on the car window! Then seeing grandma as she waited on the step to welcome us in! Thanks for all the memories.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 PM

I got the polio on sugar cubes and the chicken pox shot...
I'm 56
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 AM

Im 67, never got the polio shot, had the sugar cube when in my teens. Had a choice of either riding the bus to school, it was free,or walking. Distance was the same so I walked with all the neighborhood kids. School supplies were provided by the school. Except for binders and pens. School lunch was .25 daily. If you forgot your quarter, it was ok,you got fed anyway and nobody pointed finger at you, nobody billed your parents for it either. Dollars stores don't compare to Woolworth or Kress or the National Dollar store.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 PM

We picked up empty coke or beer bottles on a vacant lot to get the 2cent deposit money for penny candy--or sometimes a 12cent loaf of bread for lunches. And our first tv screen was so small my aunt said ""if a fly landed on the screen, you missed the show".
(Funny how now there are huge screens, and over 100 channels and nothing worth watching most of the time!)
Summertimes all us kids were told to be home when the street lights came on. And then we would play tag in the front yards till the mosquitoes drove us in.
And we zoomed up and down the sidewalk on roller skates, worn with saddle shoes, with the key on a knotted piece of string around our neck, and had scabs on our knees all summer from falling on the sidewalk.