Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How old to spay/neuter kittens? >

How old to spay/neuter kittens?

How old to spay/neuter kittens?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:31 PM

I was called the cat lady because I was always taking in strays getting them fixed, like everyone else why do people get pets and than just dump them, I know that some vets will do as young 8 wks but I think 3 months is young enough, you might have to get a wild cat trap to get them,we have two cats that were strays, one was behind the garbage container (Cleo) she was someone's pet cause she wasn't wild at all,just a sweetheart about 6 months old than now she's 4 yrs old,,,,
Old 07-30-2011, 05:49 PM

It's been amazing - just yesterday I was able to lure the female into being petted. Today the male let me - and now both of them are letting my 6yo son pet them! They are still cautious though, but at least it should be easy to corral them for the vet. As long as they hang around.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:38 PM

I would take them in ASAP. Though unlikely, the female can get pregnant at 4 months old-more likely 6 though. We end up with dumped cats, and they get taken in as soon as we can either catch or trap them.
If we ever have the opportunity to get a kitten again, it will be altered at eight weeks, provided it's healthy enough, etc. The younger they are, the quicker they rebound, and the smaller the incisions.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

I just had my cat at the vet because he broke a hip. He said it ws because he was neutered too young (2 mos old). We got him from the humane society already neutered.

Apparently it is not good to neuter a male cat too early. Their hips tend to fracture later on.

BTW, he still limps but is doing very well.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 PM

Dawn, that's awful! I've never heard of a cat breaking a hip - I'll definitely consider that!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

Here we sterilise cats at 6 months. Apparently there are some health risks if it is done too early. Soon the cat laws here are to be changed. Unless you are a registered breeder all cats must be sterilised, microchipped and wearing an ID collar, licensing (we do that with dogs) is also on the cards. Not a bad idea as we all know how irresponsible a lot of people are. Good luck with your little ferals....hope you can get them sorted at a discount price.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Our humane society used to do $15/$30 spay and neuter for dogs and I think cats were about the same, I know they still do it, but the funds aren't as plentiful as they once were, so once they are out of funds that's it for the year.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I'd love to take more in, but O'Malley was diagnosed with FIV - he was already in the house with Kiki when we found out so we figured that we wouldn't worry about it with her, but I'd be afraid to bring anyone else in. So far he's been pretty healthy though in spite of it.

I do know of a vet that gives quantity discounts, but you need 3 of them. I'll have to check with the vet we're currently seeing. I think I had called around with the last slew of kittens (had 3 and a cat at one time) and the only break was the 3 at a time one. I should check with the humane society - thanks for mentioning it.
well... 2 inside + 2 newbies outside is 4...
Old 07-31-2011, 03:25 AM
Lyn

I volunteer for a feline rescue. We usually spay and neuter at 2 lbs. or around 8-10 weeks. If you wait until they are much older say 4-6 months you run the risk of the females going through a heat and getting pregnant. We have a lot of kittens having kittens and the males starting to mark their territory. Check with your local rescues for a nice discount and yes we have a qualified vet doing the spays and neuters.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 AM

All my rescues are neutered early early early. I have 18, 12 and 10 year old boys. I have never had any health issues and have NEVER had any boys spraying (over a 30 year time span.)