Having seen my fair share and prepared for the same here are a few Hurricane tips for my friends in the NE.
1.Start making ice. Store Cubes in ziplock bags. Make Blocks of ice in plastic containers.
2.Charge laptops and cell phones
3.Get a non electric can opener
4. Bathtub full of water. (if water system goes out at least you can flush the toilet)
5. Move garbage cans and patio furniture. Anything that will blow around. (Flower pots etc)
6. Fill propane tanks for grill or stock up on charcoal. If you lose power, don't try to save your freezer, eat out of it. (Don't rush to the store to buy food!!)
7.Blue Tarps for covering damaged roofs and nails or staple guns to attach it.
8. Locate and put in a safe place all of your homeowner insurance papers, phone numbers.
9. Cash a check. If power goes out so does the ATM
10. Fill car with gas. It takes electricity to run gas pumps.
11. Turn your refrigerator and freezer to a cooler level now in anticipation of power outages.
12. Candles are not safe. Visit a camping store and purchase battery operated lanterns. Look for table top propane stove. I have one that works off a canister the size of a hairspray bottle, called Mr. Stove. It's great!
13. Make sure you have a good pair of work gloves for the cleanup and a good first aid kit for minor cuts and scrapes.
14.Lots of adult beverages help too!!
15. Tornados spin off of hurricanes. Stay away from windows, in the center part of your house.
Good luck and stay safe!! You are in my prayers.
I hope others add to this list!!