husbands & grocery store

Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

At the first of the year we are always on a tight budget. With 1 kid in college and 4 others at home. So tonight Hubby and I go to the grocery store. I can usually get out of there for under $100.00 for the week.

Tonight it was $171.80. He couldn't understand it so I pointed to his 2 boxes of cheerios (name brand) and he says they were only $2.98 each. I pointed to his stewed tomatoes (name brand) they were only $1.19 each. I pointed to his yogurt "they were only $3.29 each". This goes on for about 14 items.

At the end he says "see that didn't make that big of a difference". The kids and I just stared at him in disbelief! I haven't shown him the proof - but everything that "HE" picked up and got - ended up costs $70.22 cents!

Not as funny as the Left Brain husband/grocery store someone posted about earlier this month but still......
Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 PM

My daughter and I were just talking about this tonight. We send hubby to the store for one thing and comes back with 15 items and guess what not one of them is the item we wanted :) They just do not understand saving money.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
At the first of the year we are always on a tight budget. With 1 kid in college and 4 others at home. So tonight Hubby and I go to the grocery store. I can usually get out of there for under $100.00 for the week.

Tonight it was $171.80. He couldn't understand it so I pointed to his 2 boxes of cheerios (name brand) and he says they were only $2.98 each. I pointed to his stewed tomatoes (name brand) they were only $1.19 each. I pointed to his yogurt "they were only $3.29 each". This goes on for about 14 items.

At the end he says "see that didn't make that big of a difference". The kids and I just stared at him in disbelief! I haven't shown him the proof - but everything that "HE" picked up and got - ended up costs $70.22 cents!

Not as funny as the Left Brain husband/grocery store someone posted about earlier this month but still......
I know exactly what you mean. I can usually get out of the grocery store each week with around $42.00 and we are a family of two senior citizens. MDH went in with me this last time and he said he wanted the "rainsettes" by Snyders bakery $4.89 and the raisin bread $3.91, not to mention Tillamook ice cream $4.12 and some creamsicles $3.99 and a few other things that brought it up to $74.82. Next time he will stay in the car or at home!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I try to be frugal, but I cant get away with that.. My hubby is funny.. his claim is that he makes the money he does so he can pick the brands he wants.. Heavens forbid i buy a no name over his Jiff!!!! Me?!?!?!?! its all the same to me.. Im just grateful that in this economy we are ok financially..
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I try to be frugal, but I cant get away with that.. My hubby is funny.. his claim is that he makes the money he does so he can pick the brands he wants.. Heavens forbid i buy a no name over his Jiff!!!! Me?!?!?!?! its all the same to me.. Im just grateful that in this economy we are ok financially..
Gotta say, JIF is the best peanut butter! :lol:
Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 PM

I do buy alot of store brands... but there are a few items , that I really prefer name brand of....
Saltines..... store brands just do not cut it
Peanut butter.......... I prefer Jif... but usually store brands are ok too
Sodas......... I'm fine with store brand fruity/rootbeer/lemonlime... but if I want a coke I want a COKE..... the real cokes/Dr Pepper, etc just taste better than store brand to me...
I actually prefer store brand yogurts
Bread..... I prefer Wonder or store brands... some brands do not keep as well.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 AM

Now that we are both retired we do the food shopping together, when it was just myself that was doing the shoppng, I mainly bought the same items every time, and still buy a lot of store brands, especially for cleaning items and toiletries, and kept to a resonable budget. Now that hubby comes with me, it's a much more enjoyable chore, as he is an ex chef he loves to plan our meals in advance, and pays a lot of attention to the fresh food counters, especially the meat and fish.
It makes it much easier for me, as he also makes delicious meals. I would say the price of our shopping has increased, since he has been coming with me, but it's not all down to him as the price for all items has increased greatly.
I don't complain about it as he has been the main breadwinner over the years, so it's good that he can spend some of his hard earned cash on something that gives us both pleasure.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 AM

my husband is just the opposite he will buy only what is necessary and the cheapest kind too but he will surprise me with a box of Zingers so its ok by me when he shops because I hate it.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:24 AM

When we get to the checkout, I see all kinds of items that aren't on "The List". They must just jump off the shelf into our cart as we walk by!

If I go by myself, I get out of the store quicker and with more $$ left in my wallet. But DH has to come because I can't lift the heavy bags. Oh well........
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 AM

My DH is pretty good about frugal shopping but when he does indulge on something he wants he will Always brings me home a "liitle something" extra for me......how can i yell at him after that?? :lol: