Hydrangea

Old 07-27-2016, 01:28 PM

I planted a potted hydrangea I got as a gift 4 years ago in our mostly sandy soil, that is part of a river rock landscape. The thing blooms forever! I cut it back to 2 feet tall each fall, and by early summer it is filled with beautiful huge blooms. This past week it had a growing spurt and has grown a foot tall through the center of the bush. The blooms are still beautiful and soooo big. I add azalea (blue blossoms) at the start of the season, and every 3 weeks. Come September, they will start to turn green, then die off. That is when I trim it back. I also have one that was originally pink blossoms I received Mothers Day 2015. It bloomed all last year, and this one I did not cut back as it wasn't that tall yet. It has grown to 4 ft this year, but has not blossomed. Bummer. Hoping next year I will see something. The plants are in shade 75% of the day, on the east side of the house. For the one that I start out blue, after 2 feedings I put the pink Azalea/hydrangea fertilizer on it. Purple/blue/pink flowers!! A friend transplanted 2 beautiful large hydrangeas. They never came back.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:56 PM

I believe in using a root stimulator when planting new bushes because it makes a world of difference. Buy it at a Garden Center. Mix 3.5 Tblsps. with a gallon of water and pour it in the hole. After planting, use it 3 times (every 2 weeks) around the base of the plant. I planted 3 new hydrangea June 21 and all 3 are in full bloom already. We're needing rain so they are getting 1 gallon of water 1x a week.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

Keep them watered. a good soaking, daily for at least two weeks, and don't feed them. Better to plant in the evening or on a cloudy day, even better in the rain. They are very hardy and can withstand a lot of stress.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:54 PM

I wish you ladies that are such hydrangea experts would tell me how to keep them as cut flowers. I have gorgeous huge blooms but the minute I bring them into my house they droop and wilt. I read somewhere that they actually take in water through their petals but watering their petals did not work either. Help me enjoy my hydrangea indoors, please.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:24 AM

I have two, one is really large and the other one smaller. The one has had full sun since it was planted and its twin only a few feet away for many years only had partial sun. Now that it gets full sun too, its growing like crazy and producing flowers like its twin. They are the pretties blue I've ever seen in these flowers. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
I wish you ladies that are such hydrangea experts would tell me how to keep them as cut flowers. I have gorgeous huge blooms but the minute I bring them into my house they droop and wilt. I read somewhere that they actually take in water through their petals but watering their petals did not work either. Help me enjoy my hydrangea indoors, please.
try cutting stems on an angle and having a bucket of water to put them in as soon as you cut them. If the stem is thick you may have to lightly smash it so that it absorbs water better. You can put a little bleach or an aspirin in the water to help. The bleach also helps keep the algae from forming.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

You can move them well. Just water them and put them in indirect sun light. I have ten bushes in my yard and have found that they do not like a lot of sun.