Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hysterectomy = always being tired >

Hysterectomy = always being tired

Hysterectomy = always being tired

Old 09-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I would recommend trying Enada as a supplement. A friend of mine had surgery and just couldn't seem to recover from it. Had her take 5mg of Enada every morning and by the third day she was pretty much back to normal. This is a B-vitamin derivative and very safe; available in most vitamin stores and online. (Enada Nadh)
Old 09-06-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by tonnadesigns
I heard that I would be tired after my hyterectomy, but is it normal for me to feel like I have jet lag still after 2 and a half months? They only removed my uterus.
Yes, I think it is normal. I remember the doctor telling me that I must give myself at least six months. He said getting all the drugs out out your system, plus the extreme stress your system undergoes, requires several months to be your self again. Being tired is your body's way of telling you to take it easy.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 PM

It took me 6 months also to get back to feeling pretty normal, it's a long healing process and I also had to work the anesthesia out of my system which was slow going.

So hang in there, it's a nuisance but when it's over, you'll feel so much better and forget all about those "tired" months!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 AM

listen to your body+give it time to heal--this means it needs to clear out all the poisons put into it--i read a paper which said anaesthetic could be found in the body12-16 weeks after
Old 09-07-2010, 02:31 AM

Yes it is, the body needs time to heal, you should feel much better soon.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 AM

thanks for the info..My SIL just had everything removed but the cervix. 2 blood transfusions, and infection and she is recovering slowly.
they said her insides were a mess, they had never seen anything like it..had to call in a second surgeon, because the mess/uterous had attached itself to her bowls. like some big massive blob.
the biopsy's came back good, but they are still sending her to see an oncologist,at the end of this month.
i will keep supporting her, and telling her to go slowly..
Old 09-07-2010, 03:30 AM

It takes awhile..i was a good 4 months getting back....i had a total Hysterectomy in 05.....at the 6 month point my hormones where shot....got on premarin....took that about 2 months about killed me.....then found Progesterone cream..and use Real estrogen cream..i feel pretty good.....and My Thyroid is out to, but i take Armour for it...if all the Hormones aren't balanced...a woman or man will feel terrible..trying to get mine alighned...good luck.....Bev
Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 AM

I had mine done almost 3 months ago. I too had a total abdominal hysterectomy and since I'm single I had no choice but to rest a lot before heading back to work. I drank a lot of liquids to keep hydrated and walked small distances. I live on the 3rd floor so I didn't leave my apt. for almost 3 wks. :( By the time I got back to work I had one wk of light duty, no bending or lifting. I can say now that the rest did me well however I do wish I had more sick time to use to have more. Not everyone heals the same so take your time and rest YOU WILL GET BETTER! I agree with the rest here, if you still feel like that consult your doctor.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 AM

I had hemorrhaging fibroids and was passing out when I stood up. I had a complete in Jan 09.. Dr told me to hold down the couch for 3 solid weeks and I would not have any healing problems. Immediately after surgery I was given a shot of estrogen and felt like superwoman for about 4 weeks then a nosedive back into depression and no energy. I was then put on estro-gel which helped a little. Dr then suggested I try testosterone shots to boost the estrogen. I grew hair, lots of it, everywhere, and got reallllly aggressive. I now understand what my boys went thru at puberty. I gave it the 3 month trial period my Dr requested then went back to just estro-gel. My sister had breast cancer and I am constantly harassed by family to stop estrogen treatment. I am 50 years old and my mother (83) has severe osteoporosis and heart disease so for me personally that is not an option. I take a multi-vitamin, calcium, vit D and an extra B-complex everyday. You seem concerned so for peace of mind ask your Dr to do a complete blood workup. There may be another underlying condition that was being masked by the surgery problem.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 AM

Some of it depends on the reason you had the surgery. If it was due to cancer or hemmoraging it could take longer than normal to feel "normal" again. Mine was because of the latter (for years) and it took ages for my body to build back up even with transfusions. Also age plays a big part in it. Usually be the time we get around to this type of surgery a little age has set in and we just don't "hide up and hair over" like we did when we were young.