I don't knoow how to feel

Old 02-26-2010, 04:02 PM

This morning Ileft for work at 8:00Am and was back by 9:15. I knew I would be laid off today together with 88 other employees, but I guess you don't know how it will feel. I have never been without a job and is really hard to swallow. There weas a big group going out all together for breakfast, then for drinks, lunch and more drinks. As a matter of fact, it is 6:50 now I I just heard that they are still out "celebrating". I didn't feel like celebrating, so I came straight home and spent the day with DH. We went to the unemployment office today because everyone will gather there again on Monday and the party will go on. They are basically celebrating that they will get the summer "off " and will start looking for a job in the fall. We do get a severance, but is taxed at a much higher rate and I know that if I don't start working soon I will be in trouble soon. I must be overthinking my situation.

I did have a sweet moment. No matter how sad things look my quilting sisters come through. I got a cute package in the mail with tons of beads. Thank YOU so much. They are beautiful!!

I got a call yesterday from the place I interviewed last week. They want me to go for a second interview. I have a long distance to travel for the interview so they wanted to discuss salary first and see that I am OK with their offer before I travel. They gave me their offer and I started my negociation process, so I am waiting for their call some time early next week. It felt sooo weird. The last time I interviewed for a job I was too young to even think that their salary offer doesn't have to be final and I could negociate.

Please think of me next Monday. It is going to be very hard to get up in the morning with no where to go. We should start and unemployed forum on this board.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Just think next Monday will be your sewing day.. I will keep you in my prayers that your interview goes well. Things will look up God closes one door but always opens a window!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Good luck with the job offer! I'm underemployed, working part time at a staffing agency, and hear heartbreaking stories all day. There just are no jobs to be had in this area. The few that are out there are all backbreaking manual labor, paying minimum wages. I've never seen it so bad in my lifetime.

Just be careful you don't get knocked out of the running because of salary. In this economy, jobs are few and far between. You may want to offer to start at <lower figure> if you can have a salary review after 60 or 90 days. It's very hard to get a feel for salaries in this climate. All the old rules seem to be gone and it's all who can do a job cheapest.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM

I went through the same thing in November, and didn't get back to work until mid-January. It's hard, you have to decide which things that you can do without until you have more money coming in. By the time I went back to work, I had depleted all my savings, but I made it, and you will, too. And, yes, you will find it very hard to sit at home, when you are used to going to work everyday.But, just keep yourself busy and hopefully, you will get the job!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:33 PM

Hang in there. My husband was unemployed for 11 months--interview after interview--and he didn't get the job. I told him God must want him somewhere else. When he finally was hired--it was a block away from his parents. His father is taking a turn for the worst with his Alzheimers...but Mark can eat lunch with his parents every day and help his mom with everything. See...God knows what He's doing. So...keep looking for the silver lining. It'll come.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 PM

I will have you in my thoughts and prayers for Monday. I think that the trick to being unemployed is to stay very busy. Sew, sew, sew. And when you need a brake from that, clean, cook, bake. Do the things you have been putting off. (I think we all have a list of those things) If the wheather is good, walk. Make yourself get out of the house EVERY day. If you stay in to long, it gets harder and harder to get out. But most of all, know that you are not alone. We are all here for you.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:24 PM

Stay busy, and pray. Do what you know you have to do, and this too, shall pass. Nothing stays the same.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:33 PM

I know it is does not help to tell you you are not alone. DH and I have both been out of work since March 09, now my unemployment is out, I am told I can reapply in a month, that does't pay my mortage...
sent out about 7 resumes beginning of week and 3 more tonight. I will now take part time and less $.
Good luck to you, and God Bless.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Keep your chin, do some quilting and spend some quality time with the family. Things happen for a reason, and your next adventure is right around the corner.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 PM

I'm sure there is a bright side to all of this.
You'll find it and you'll also find that perfect job.
I'm sorry you got layed off, that just sucks.
Get some sewing done...it's great for the soul.
HUGS!