Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I found this to be a very interesting story...these women were tough and savvy >

I found this to be a very interesting story...these women were tough and savvy

I found this to be a very interesting story...these women were tough and savvy

Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 AM

I was first struck by the picture of the woman and her fiber arts displayed, but when I read the story I was awed. These pioneer women were deterred by nothing.. and made homes for their family out of the air it seems....teach us a lesson with our techno world and all electric homes...I wonder if I could have done as well. Read on to see what she wove her rugs out of....talk about re-use and re-cycle.

http://berlinnhhistoricalsociety.org...7_Jan_1927.pdf
Old 09-13-2011, 07:29 AM

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting reading and amazing what people did with "nothing".
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

WOW! That was some interesting news! Thanks for sharing the link!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Absolutely fascinating! What caught my eye, as a nursery family member, was the comment that it took TWO blueberries to make a pie!!! That seems impossible and I wonder what it was they were calling blue berries..plums maybe? Makes me want to go there and hike around that place..whatever part of it that isn't covered with Walmart and parking lots.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Absolutely fascinating! What caught my eye, as a nursery family member, was the comment that it took TWO blueberries to make a pie!!! That seems impossible and I wonder what it was they were calling blue berries..plums maybe? Makes me want to go there and hike around that place..whatever part of it that isn't covered with Walmart and parking lots.
I think that it would take more than two, even if they were very big berries....a misprint, another name for some mystery fruit...it would take more than two plums for a pie, or maybe those long gone ladies are pulling our leg....in fact I can't think of any fruit that it would only take two of to make even a small pie...maybe a tart.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 AM

I think I find a rug made from human hair just a bit creepy....Lord knows I shed like a dog.....and lots of lands on the rug....but never the less...ewwww
Old 09-13-2011, 12:17 PM

I love history and found this so interesting! Loved the story about the fellow who tested his Ford to see if it really runs on nothing and was seen at 1 p.m. returning with a can of gas! See there never was truth in advertising!