Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I have just started going through boxes in our storage area and >

I have just started going through boxes in our storage area and

I have just started going through boxes in our storage area and

Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 PM

I did the same thing about a month ago. Cleaned up the garage and took car load to a thrift shop that is for humane society and gave some to the other thrift shop that is the mission for the poor or homeless. It was good weather here so I could get it done 1st part of april. It does feel better to get things cleaned up and organized.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
OMG!!! I have boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff that is going to Goodwill. Good stuff too, including tons of books that never got read, computer software that never got used, etc. etc. etc.

My dh and I want to move next year (or whenever we can sell the house) and we don't want to move all this stuff yet again.

I'm dreading the boxes of quilting mags, etc. I should probably sell them here, but I'm getting too lazy in my old age and don't want all the work of responding to PMs, packaging, matching up addresses with PMs, etc.

I don't know if I deserve sympathy or not. After all, I bought all this stuff in the first place! Sure am feeling sorry for myself now, though, as it's hard to let go of all this stuff..... Trying to make myself feel better for all the people who are going to get great bargains at Goodwill!

Note to self: do ***not*** repeat ***not*** buy more STUFF!!! :-(

Edit: Should add that I found some boxes that my husband had not unpacked since he moved back here from England 25 years ago.......
I am sitting here laughing at you since I am in the same position. Need to sell my house but have such a huge glass collection of Moon & Star pattern that I can't sell or even think of moving til I get rid of it somehow. Like you, I'm feeling too lazy to pursue selling it. So much work to deal with it pc. by pc.
I should send you my son. He can toss things out without a second thought.
Good luck.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I dropped the first car load of "stuff" off at Goodwill. My, that was easy! And I'm not missing it! The hard part is actually going through the stuff and deciding to actually put it in the box that will go to Goodwill.

I won't put the quilting mags in landfill. Over the years I donated quite a few magazines and books to a local non-profit that teaches quilting; just don't know if they can use anymore. At the very least I will make sure the old mags get into the hands of other quilters.
Sometimes a local school can use your magazines for art projects. I put a lot of things in the teachers workroom. My trash, their treasure.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Still working on the STUFF. Back seat is loaded with boxes again, plus have some bags of clothes to throw in there for a dropoff tomorrow.

Don't want to admit it, but I found a tan featherweight in a case that I don't even remember buying. THAT's not going to Goodwill!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:53 AM

Good grief - how can you forget a Featherweight!!!!?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Prism 99, the featherweight you "discovered" is a reward for your hard work.

Confession time for me---- Although I am filling boxes for Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul, I came home today from Vinnies with 5 cotton shirts to be repurposed. More has to go OUT than comes IN :-)
Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 2Chuckie2
Good grief - how can you forget a Featherweight!!!!?
Yeah, makes me worry about memory loss in my old age! Actually, after posting, I finally remembered how I acquired that machine. I had responded to an ad and the guy insisted on bringing the machine over to the house. When he came, he was an older guy and the machine wasn't in that great a shape. I didn't really want to buy it, but he clearly wanted to sell it and, since he'd come all the way over, I finally bought it just to get rid of him. Turned down a different machine he wanted to sell me too.

I think the experience was just off-putting enough that I never "bonded" with the machine and that's why I eventually forgot all about it.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:53 AM

If you need someone to bond with it, let me know....I'm in the bonding mood!!! LOL!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

:lol: :lol: :lol: