I have a squirrel problem

Old 09-09-2009, 05:42 PM

You are all much nicer than I am apparently! I'd get a really good trap (I have some good ones for chipmunks.), bait them (peanut butter is great bait) and let the squirrel take his chances.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well, you made the mistake of feeding him...even once is too much. I would try the humane trap and relocate him if possible. I would not take a chance of losing my cat by turing it loose though! If all else fails...an air gun? blast him with a water hose when you see him? borrow a neighbor's dog?. Good luck, I know it is sooo frustrating after all that hard work in your yard!

...and when you figure out how to get rid of him....please tell me how to get rid of the 3 skunks that are living under my house! :shock:
MOTHBALLS...the kind that come in a box :wink:
Old 09-09-2009, 06:42 PM

....um.... you could put the food in the neighbor's yard.....but I didn't tell you that.....
Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelley
....um.... you could put the food in the neighbor's yard.....but I didn't tell you that.....
ooh, Shelley, what if you are the neighbor? :shock: :lol:
Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Administrator

marcia told me a similar story about the squirrels in her yard. they were driving her husband up the wall because they kept pulling up patches of sod all over the place. well ... it turned out that they were just digging up things they'd buried. they remembered all the locations and weren't letting a little thing like new sod get in their way.

anyhoooo ... it only happened during that first season. once the squirrels had found all their previously buried treasure the digging stopped because they buried their new "jewels" someplace easier to get to.

make your squirrels pay for their share of the sod. they'll be more careful. or ... just patch it this year and wait patiently for next. :wink:
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
marcia told me a similar story about the squirrels in her yard. they were driving her husband up the wall because they kept pulling up patches of sod all over the place. well ... it turned out that they were just digging up things they'd buried. they remembered all the locations and weren't letting a little thing like new sod get in their way.

anyhoooo ... it only happened during that first season. once the squirrels had found all their previously buried treasure the digging stopped because they buried their new "jewels" someplace easier to get to.

make your squirrels pay for their share of the sod. they'll be more careful. or ... just patch it this year and wait patiently for next. :wink:
a 'quilted' yard! :lol: sorry, Melanie, was too good to pass up.
Hope you and the squirrel can come to a peaceful resolution.
Maybe 'Handsome' is gonna have to dig up the corn kernels and pay the ransom to get your yard back. :wink:
Old 09-10-2009, 05:04 AM

Did you ever think that maybe that is why the previous owners didn't have a yard with grass? Maybe they had the same problems.

I have feral cats that have taken up residency here since they were kittens. They do their own hunting. It is nothing to see a bird, chipmunk, rabbit or a squirrel on my porch.

That story reminds me of the commercial with the two squirrels running in front of a car and when the car swerves and goes off the road the squirrels are giving each other the high 5...............maybe there are some intelligent ones out there...........and you have one coming into your yard.

Barb
Old 09-10-2009, 05:04 AM

Did you ever think that maybe that is why the previous owners didn't have a yard with grass? Maybe they had the same problems.

I have feral cats that have taken up residency here since they were kittens. They do their own hunting. It is nothing to see a bird, chipmunk, rabbit or a squirrel on my porch.

That story reminds me of the commercial with the two squirrels running in front of a car and when the car swerves and goes off the road the squirrels are giving each other the high 5...............maybe there are some intelligent ones out there...........and you have one coming into your yard.

Barb
Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by genghis khan
B.B. Gun? :)
Yep...that was what I was going to say:)Works wonders here....they can do some serious house damage!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 AM

We live with them...they were here first.