Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I need a boost/encouragement! >

I need a boost/encouragement!

I need a boost/encouragement!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 AM

I have been working on learning about the mitered corners, and other binding for quilts and mug rugs and the other projects we do here, I am somehow missing it, still not achieving the right way to do it.

I also have been going to a senior center, which I don't think I want to go back. the rudeness is not well taken with me.
some of you ladies were kind enough to tell me how to do the bindings, in a nice way!
And the tutorials are fantastic. its where we fold the binding and place it to the other side is where I am having a problem.

anyway, also I have been doing a lot of crocheted preemie hats, and the same lady is saying its too small or its too big.
Maybe I am putting too much into this, but my time is being spent doing these things to "give away", which includes bibs, lap quilts.
Reason why I haven't done much corresponding here as well. I guess I am letting things get the best of me, just want to be doing something with my time instead of sitting & watching the idiot tube or computer, or whatever,

I am kind of discouraged in doing these projects. If maybe I should give them up and move on to something else. But I so much like doing these things!

Sorry, yeah a hug would be great! Sure would appreciate your help
Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 AM

(((hugs))). don't let other people's attitude bring you down. I'm proud of you for making things to give away. Some senior centers can be not welcoming to drop in, or new members. Keep up what you are doing and brush off the negatives. Have you tried a LQS for some hands on advice? My LQS owner has been wonderful to me helping me with stuff I couldn't figure out. Hang in there and the light bulb will go off.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:50 AM

Here's a hug. I have found that some people like to criticize me to make themselves feel better. Consider the source, do what you enjoy and move on. I know that's easiser to say than do. I'm talking to myself as much as anyone here.

As for mitered corners? They aren't essential in quilting. Keep practicing or just don't do them. There are a lot of beautiful quilts here without mitered corners.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:50 AM

thanks!! really need that today!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:52 AM

Ok now! and yes I will keep the negatives at bay! again thanks

so on to practicing the corners!
mary quitte contrary! love it!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

{{{ hugs }}} Illegitimi non carborundum [dont let the **** get you down]. do what makes you happy. there will always be those who will criticize. i know what you mean about making items for donation... makes me feel good too. so make those items that please you and donate them to those who will accept them. ignore the critics. have a good day :) :) :) :)
Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 AM

Hi Nancy! thanks for the encouragement! and I do plan to have a great day!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 AM

Not quite sure I understand about the senior center. Are you going to participate with the other seniors or to help out with the seniors? I wish I had a senior center close enough to go to but I guess I have my own private one with my husband and myself - no one's rude, but the TV is on all day. He's recovering from stepping on a nail that went all the way through his shoe and foot. Slow recovery, he's diabetic - has lots of pain. And we're certainly senior enough for any center. LOL.

I personally do a very lousy job on binding. All my bindings seem to get some wrinkles in them no matter what.

I wouldn't let some old biddies worry me about the size of my crocheted baby hats. Baby's heads come in all sizes even for the very little babies. I think it is wonderful that you are doing these things, it really shows a lot of love coming from a generous heart. Just sew, sew and crochet while your hands will let you and develop ear trouble if you need to. You won't be the only person at the center with selective hearing. You might even need to develop selective seeing. LOL. I'm sure God's happy with you, so who cares what some going-senile old women think? If they are widows I'll bet their husbands are looking on and laughing at them still trying to boss someone around.

Keep up your good works, and keep up your spirits. Babies and other people are depending on what you do! Tell those women to back off, you're busy!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 AM

TanyaL. wow thanks ! yes I donate time to the senior center, they have ladies that make the baby hats and quilts, so I am just a beginner there, and I guess they have set rules ion how to do and what to do. yes the selective hearing from now on! again thanks!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

Hugs to you. Keep up with the things you like to do. Don't let the rudeness of some people get to you..Keep up the good work. I'm sure God is smiling on you.