Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
i need help finding my moms life insurance policy >

i need help finding my moms life insurance policy

i need help finding my moms life insurance policy

Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
This is an important lesson for everyone regardless of your age. Keep info updated and in a place where someone can get to it. There's nothing worse than to be grieving and have to start looking for policies.
Good advice.....
Old 10-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Do you have a young, enthusiastic paper or TV reporter who is interested in anything that will make news? Find her or him and give the facts...the little guy fighting the big, bad companies is big in the news right now.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

if need be, hire a lawyer to call that company. they should take the time to help you. it's their duty to do so since she had insurance with them at one time. records are there somewhere. i'd keep calling and going to the top. but having a lawyer send them a letter may help more.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 AM

We just went through this at my work. My bosses father had a life policy that had been sold by the original insurance company to a new company. Original company said we had to talk to the new company. New company said they couldn't locate the policy by the policy number of the old company. Of course we had no way of knowing the new number that the new company had converted the policy to. Round & round we went.

We finally resolved this by contacting the office of the state insurance commissioner. Come to find out, all of the insurance companies have a unit that does nothing but track down lost policies. Through the insurance commissioner we got the contact information needed to get to the right department of the new company. Bingo! Everything is resolved & the policy is no longer "missing".

So - your best bet is to go straight to the insurance commissioner for your state. Good luck!