Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I need help please with a basic sewing question. >

I need help please with a basic sewing question.

I need help please with a basic sewing question.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:30 PM

Have you tried weights in the corner of the hem?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:07 PM

You all have been so wonderful with all your help. Thank you! I have finally finished ripping out all the seams. I sure did a nice job of matching the thread and boy did it make the picking out time consuming!

I have decided to take my time and put in blind hems by hand. I am going to make sure they (the stitches)are rather on the loose side and I am undecided but I may use a single thread to keep it light. It will take me a bit but I can not stomach the idea of having to rip out any more machine stitches (even a machine blind hem) if they don't look nice this time.
I plan to do one side of one panel, press it, put in some drapery weights if needed and hang the panel then see if it makes the grade before doing any thing to the other panels. Wish me luck and perseverence!!!! Did I mention I hate hand stitching?
BTW Thanks again for all your help it has kept me motivated and hopeful.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM

YIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you! I just finished hand stitching on side of one of the panels and it hangs beautifully! I have a ton of work left to do but I don't even mind knowing that it does really work! I am so thrilled and relieved. Thank you all so much for your kindness in stepping up to give me help. I am so so pleased, they look great!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 PM

Success!! It's a wonderful thing!

I hate to admit it but I have a wonderful muted plaid fabric (think of a cozy cabin) that I purchased at least five years ago to make four simple panels for my living room but I'm scared to death to cut into it because I know matching the plaids is going to be a challenge. This thread has given me courage. I may just hand stitch it as you're doing so I can control the matching.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM

Lois,
I hope you have good luck with your panels. I love plaids but every time I use them I swear I won't do it again. I can't stand it when the patterns don't match, it drives me crazy.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM

Sew a fishing weight (or two) into the hem where it is drawing up. That might help.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 AM

You might try placing a piece of paper over the fabric and stitching through it. I have done this in the past with sheer fabrics. It seems the feed dogs move the different fabrics different and they slip on each other.