Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need suggestions! Please?

Ok quick explaination. My last hubby died in a car crash. I'am still very close to his mom, who is a wonderful lady that raised 8 kids on her own. I live in Ohio and she lives in Alabama now. In July she is coming to visit, and the family is giving her a suprise b.d. party for her 92nd birthday. Can ya guess? I give her something every year, and now I'm just out of ideas. She is a quilter, but thats getting hard for her now, so thats out. Pictures and windchimes are out too. Any ideas?

Momma, my daughter and I the last time she visited
    Name:  Attachment-84010.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  34.1 KB

note cards /occasion cards with stamps

fruit of the month--give all year

memory quilt of family that you make

prepaid phone card

Rita

Why not give her a needlepoint kit? Get one of the nicer ones from a shop that specializes in needlepoint rather than from a craft shop like Michael's - it's frustrating to work with a low-quality kit.

The large holes in a needlepoint canvas and the thicker, blunt-pointed needles may be easier for her to work with. You can find a picture or pattern that will be meaningful to her.

If she doesn't already have an outdoor garden, you could buy her a container gardening kit. They even have mini greenhouse kits, where it's a little 3-shelf unit with a plastic covering and you put the potted plants on the shelves.

Or you could buy her a terrarium or again, give her a kit.

A magazine subscription?

A fun hat, purse, or other accessory?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Boy I hope I look that good at her age, Lord willing I live that long. I have to agree with the memory quilt because I imagine she has all that she needs. Maybe a gift card to a store that she likes to shop at.

My grandma was a pistol. She was born deaf, raised 9 kids (8 of them boys) and lived to be 96. She was also a practical joker. FOr her 90th birthday, my siblings and I got her a super soaker water gun. She wore it out and was working on her 2nd when she passed. Give her something fun.

Power Poster
    Spend time with her - - -

Tell her - again - how much she means to you --

Write a history/diary/memory book of things that she did that were meaningful to you and your family that she can take out and read now and then -

What a bunch of beautiful ladies!!!!!!! She is really pretty for 91! Sure doesnt look her age.
    I would do pretty stationary with stamps.....or somme type of special food she buys? Pretty candle? We always buy our Granma stuff she can use up, because she has too much stuff!

What a nice family. Your mom-in-law looks awesome. Wow.
    I like the memory quilt idea with stationaries. Or Memory pillows if she has no space to hang a quilt. Jewelry box with jewelry in it would be a nice gift. Gift certificate to her favorite store. Teas. Tea set. Garden ornaments. Diane Phalen picture to hang. Ohhhh I got, it a puppy. Naaaaa. Sorry I just had to through that one in. Good luck. Have a wonderful visit. That will probably the best part of her birthday is seeing family :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    If she is a coffee drinker, some of the little sample bags of different flavors and blrends. Millstone has some good ones, and I'm sure there are lots of others. And a coffeepot that makes about 2-4 cups., oh! some biscotii for dunking!

Quilted sachets for her drawers or a nice tote bag. Clay pots with potting soil and herb and flower seeds and small gardening tools for the windowsill. A jigsaw puzzle. A camera. A nice journal with pen so she can write her memoirs. Scrap book stuff with pictures of everyone over the years that she can put together.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast