Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I think my dog has it out for us!! >

I think my dog has it out for us!!

I think my dog has it out for us!!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM

get some sleep tonight
Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Google Goddess

good luck with training your dog
Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 PM

My Jack Rusell has decided to do that too! I finally put him in ds room to sleep. He won't wake him up, but he will yap and claw at my bed at 3 am! So, when he starts doing that, I send him to ds room! I let all 3 of mine out at least 4 times before bed, but, my Buddy doesn't want me to sleep!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Is he an older dog? I know as I have gotten older, I have to get up at night when I didn't used to! My bet is the dog is like me -- would prefer to sleep through the night but can't.

I also think a trip to the vet is in order in case it is a bladder infection.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by Cyn
Sounds like it's also time to limit water intake in the evening and see if that works. We put in doggie doors so they can let themselves out. It has disadvantages and advantages tho.
Oh my word....... No telling what my dogs would drag in. It's bad enough when it is wet outside and I have to wipe eight feet before they come in. The builder of this house obviously didn't have dogs. The outside door leads directly into the open family room and breakfast room. At least he did have sense enough to put tile in front of the door and not carpet.
That wouldn't work, would it? Maybe that infection thing is worth checking into. Cats walk all over me all night but after all these years, I sleep through it all. We do get a lot of critters and presents brought in to us with 2 dogs and 5 cats. They get their feet cleaned for the most part before they come in and we have a wind lock so heat/air conditioner doesn't leave the house. Sorry I wish I could help:(
Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

I know how you feel....When we had our 1st Old English Sheepdog, (OES) he was just 8 wks old. We had him gated in the kitchen. Every nite at 3:00 AM he would bark. The little bundle of fur was in the corner sitting up. He had "pooped on his papers" and didn't want to smell it.
So darn funny.....

Know we have Bailey (OES) He got crated and loved it. Well, 14 mo came and he would start scratching on the bottom of the crate, at 2:00 am, pushed his quilt out of the way....We finally told him he could sleep upstairs. No more problems. LOL
Old 01-05-2011, 05:45 PM

I have 1 (big old dog) in the house. He does this thing where I try to get him to go out just before I go to bed, so by the time I wash, brush teeth etc, and turn out the light - he gets up from his (couch!) and wants to go out. I watched him one nite to see just what he did, he wandered around and finally had a poop! I asked the vet about it next time we went and the vet said dogs pee thru the day but only poop once. My dog had this nite cycle. I took him for a lonnnnng walk a few diff times and if he poops on a walk he doesnt bother me at bedtime. Im retired (and old!) so getting up doestnt bother me cus he doesnt bark to go out and I usu hear him moving around cus Im awake anyway! I have to get up too, lol share t
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
We put in doggie doors so they can let themselves out. It has disadvantages and advantages tho.
My aunt had a doggie door for her German shepherd. Every morning she would get up and find a huge mess in the kitchen from where the dog was getting into the trash bin. The poor dog was getting in trouble nearly every morning! Well, one night they heard a noise in the kitchen. She and her husband got up, ready to scold the dog because they had had enough of the nonsense and wanted to catch him in the act! They went into the kitchen and turned on the light only to find a big raccoon scurrying out the doggie door!!!! :lol: :lol: They felt so terrible that they had been blaming the dog for something a raccoon had been doing all along! :cry: Well, you can bet that doggie was given the royal treatment for quite a while after that to make up for all the times he had been blamed for the mess. :thumbup:
Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 PM

Maybe try some earplugs for awhile, and once he realizes you're not going to get up & let him out, he might start sleeping through the night. I had to resort to that, and it was hard to "give up control" of actually hearing what went on in the neighbourhood at night :roll:
Old 01-06-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Is he an older dog? I know as I have gotten older, I have to get up at night when I didn't used to! My bet is the dog is like me -- would prefer to sleep through the night but can't.

I also think a trip to the vet is in order in case it is a bladder infection.
No, he's a year and a half old. He has no trouble peeing so I don't think it's a bladder infection...he really just likes being a smart a$$...