Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a Puppy!

Blog Entries

Smile I want a Puppy!

My husband and I are ready to welcome a new family member as it has been 4 years since we lost our dearly loved English Setter who had lived with us for 15 years. I'd love to have another setter, but DH wants a British Labrador Retriever - basically a lab that is stockier than typical labs. We'd prefer a yellow lab. Anyone out there raise this breed? Or know of someone who does? Respond here or by PM, please. We offer 20 acres in the woods of Vermont, a warm house and warmer hearts. Oh, and the Vet is only 5 miles away!

There are lots of shelter dogs that need homes. Just a suggestion

I'm on dog #6 and all but one have been rescue dogs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I'm with ya, dolphyngyhrl - but he's being a bit of a snob right now and wants what he wants - I bet in the long run we end up taking in a rescue dog. But I told him I would try!

If you can get him to go look at the dogs in area shelters there'll be one that both of you will fall in love with. When you think about it, the only real reason to go to the expense of a purebred is if you plan to breed or show, anything other than that is just an "I want" which is ok too, but all that money you save could be spent on fabric.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

You'll find the shorter-on-leg and stockier built Labradors from AKC breeders that show their dogs as that is the proper type of Labrador. The Labrador Club of America changed the standard of the breed about 10 years ago or so to a Lab that more closely resembles the Lab's in England.

My first suggestion would be to go to the AKC website and use the show directory. Once there, you can look for upcoming shows in VT (and a neighboring state if your willing to travel). Once you have a show in mind, make sure they have Lab's entered, and find out the show times. Travel to that show and meet the dogs and their owners.

Dog show etiquette: Don't touch dogs without first asking, always make sure your hands are clean before touching, if you visit the owners in their grooming areas it's best to just introduce yourself - tell them you'll watch the show and return when their ring time is over - prior to showing exhibitors are busy getting their dogs ready but at least they know that someone will be waiting when they are done, it's OK to bring treats for the dogs but always ask before you feed any of them.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    a good suggestion, IMHO. If you want a specific breed, there are rescue groups for every breed.

Blog Entries
    I just read yesterday that a lot of shelters are so overcrowded that they even have to euthanize pure bred animals....Why don't you go to your local animal shelter and ask to be put on a list so that if a lab of your choice is brought in you can hopefully give it a loving home. I had a neighbor who's daughter had her heart set on a black persian and made a request at her local shelter and in time one was brought in and she was able to give it a home......Good Luck your heart is in the right place.

A lot of shelter dogs are someone else's screw ups. Like not training them to potty outside, etc. Makes training them harder. Ask me how I know. My avatar dog came from a shelter. Get the breed you want and get a puppy and you both will be much happier. After having pure bred dogs, I can sure tell a difference. Spaying and neutering would keep the shelters unneeded. I spay/neuter all my pets as soon as they are old enough.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

There's nothing like having a furbaby to love ( and to love you back ) when the kids are all grown up and gone.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast