Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: An idea of attaching fabric to canvas

Blog Entries

An idea of attaching fabric to canvas

I was looking thru some artwork and saw a piece that although painted it looked like a fabric colorway. Each "piece" was about 4 inches wide x height of canvas and it look so lifelike that I thought about actually doing it with fabric. Just folding the pieces and overlapping them? Should I just stretch the fabric strips, wrap around canvas and then staple like I am covering a piece of furniture?. Should I use a glue to actually attached the pieces to the canvas and layer that way.

I am so totally art challenged with a paint brush that I thought this might be an alternative.

Any other suggestions??
    Thanks,
    Carolyn

I wonder if decopage medium would work?
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!

I think decpage medium would work but when I put fabric on canvas I also staple it on the back.

Blog Entries
    I remember using decoupage years ago and also the "stiffy medium" to make ribbons and bows and cover boxes, etc. I think I even have some so wouldn't have to buy any to give it a try.

I also thought about a watered down fabric glue. Think I need my DGD here to use her kindergarten skills. LOL She is a perfectionist though so we might drive each other crazy!

If the canvas is not coated, couldn't you use a fusing agent on the back of your fabric and iron it on? Of course, if the canvas has been primered, that will not work.

modge podge

I haven't done it on canvas, but I've used Mod Podge to fuze a fabric collage to a vinyl suitcase, and it works great. I'm sure it would work well on canvas also - no need for staples (which could potentially rust). There is a matte version of Mod Podge, and I prefer that over the glossy finish to preserve the texture of fabric, but either one is fine, depending on the look you're after. My friend who has done a lot of decoupage has a different brand of medium she prefers, but I don't know what it is, and she's out of town at the moment. You could check an art supply store for advice.
    We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
    ~ Charles Kingsley