Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years.... >

If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years....

If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years....

Old 05-27-2011, 11:54 AM

your debit card may be cancelled! I had my card declined this morning at the grocery store. I don't carry cash or credit so had to leave everything there and come home to try and figure out what was going on. Called the bank and finally got someone to tell me it was because at some point in the last 2 years I have shopped at Michael's and since all their info has been compromised my card was cancelled. I also had to "account" for every recent purchase I have made. Now I don't mind them being on top of this BUT they could notify me! They send out letters telling me about this change and that change, that its going to cost me $3 a month for a paper statement, another telling that their checking is no longer free and will be $10 a month, but they cannot send me a letter telling me my card is being cancelled? I had to go to the bank, get cash, and go back and get my groceries all over again. Needless to say we are NOT happy bankers and are now looking for a new bank.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM

that's bad.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

I have never heard of this type action due to comprimised data. Im sorry this happened to you, I know it can be embarrasing, even though its not your fault, when you are standing in line and your card wont work.

and what a pain....
Old 05-27-2011, 12:00 PM

Can you mention the name of the bank?

It has been a while since I shopped at Michaels, but I think it has been within the last two years.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 PM

if anyone wants the bank name they can pm me.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by JCquilts
I have never heard of this type action due to comprimised data. Im sorry this happened to you, I know it can be embarrasing, even though its not your fault, when you are standing in line and your card wont work.

and what a pain....
neither have I. We have been with this bank for years and have multiple accounts with them. Just a very generic "oh sorry for any inconvenience" and just now the card# associated with my account has changed. It was the old card this morning.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 PM

I had this happen once too. They cancelled the card which is great except it left me high and dry with no cash. Phone call, email, text, anything would have helped. I didnt find out until a Saturday afternoon. Had to borrow money from my dad to make it through til a real bank opened up.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 PM

So sorry that you had to go through this! Hope all is better now.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:47 PM

I don't know the situation with Michaels, but I think your bank acted quickly and wisely to stop potential theft of all the money in your account.

The problem with debit cards is that, if your account info is stolen, your bank account can be cleaned out within hours. When that happens, the banks have no obligation (as far as I know - different states have different banking regulations) to return your money. With CCs, the CC company will remove most of the charges from your account and investigate.

I prefer the bank cancelling my card number without telling me first then someone looted my account - which leaves you "higher" and 'dryer".

I agree that an email or text message notification would be nice, though. But I can see scammers catching on to that very quickly and sending bogus emails and texts to get you to give your financial info to them.

Why can't people just be honest?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:37 PM

well googling on this I found credit unions that cancelled cards on May 12....so this is NOT them acting quickly. They're in a push to get everyone doing online banking so why not notify that way? This morning when i logged in to do my weekly transfer it showed the card associated with my account as the old one. Not until after I called and raised a stink did it change to show a new card issued....today.