IF YOU LIVE in Florida

Old 04-12-2014, 09:05 AM

Default IF YOU LIVE in Florida

IF YOU LIVE in Florida

what are your likes about the area.
what are your dislikes ?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 AM

Hi Dreamer, I'm from Florida. I'm back in my home in Brandon, Florida now.

I love everything about living in this area. I love the warmth, I love the area. There is Beaches, Shopping, Theme Parks, Historical Downtown and Hyde Park. Really anything you could want.

Living this close to the bay (on the Gulf side) Keeps the weather from being too hot. Although, mind you, it can get hot here. I don't think it's as humid as living up North. (But, others may find it different.)

I do find that the Gas prices and the cost of living (Apartments and Grocery Store) are a bit higher here.

I LOVE my home here.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 AM

Judith are you in the way of hurricanes if they come thru ?
what do you do if it happens?
Old 04-12-2014, 04:48 PM

I have lived in Florida 25+ years. First in Miami, where we lived through Andrew. Now in Central Florida, where we went through 3 in one year. There were a lot of lessons learned from Andrew and laws implemented that made the year of the three storms much more survivable. There will always be people who cut corners and even if you do not, their negligence can cause you problems. How many snow storms do some folks go through in one year?
As far as being in the way of hurricanes when they come through, you never know until they come. It is like any place, if you are prepared you will probably survive with a little inconvenience.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:56 PM

Hi Dreamer, I'm in the Florida Panhandle, in Pensacola area. I love it here. Hurricanes come thru anywhere in Florida afterall, it's surrounded in 3 sides by water. The main thing is you can get out of the way of a hurricane. You have days to prepare, days to either stay or go and days after to recover. We have what we call a Paradise Tax. High cost of living, low wages but a beautiful place to live. It gets too hot in the summer but mostly mild in the winter. Schools were out 3 day for ice on the roads. We never had any ice. It was in the northern end of the county not the southern end. The down side is there really aren't four seasons here. Spring starts in January/February. It's my favorite time of the year.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:23 PM

I'm definitely not a four seasons kinda person.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Knock on wood Dreamer, my area that I live in has been very very lucky weather wise. I too find that we have a lot of time to prepare for a storm. It is always your choice to stay or go. Although, If a hurricane comes up the gulf side, I'm getting out of Dodge!! A lot of the storms come in on the Atlantic side. Or the gulf side has a track that turns toward LA. Knock on wood, we have been very very lucky.

I helped my husband move household furniture for United Van Lines the year Hurricane Andrew came in. (After the storm.) It was horrible. A lot of people just had nothing left. The people who stayed, said they would never do it again. They would evacuate. The people who evacuated came home to devastation. This was not in my area. It was the Miami Dade Area.

It is important to be prepared and be insured.

It's like any other area that has bad things. Like earthquakes, tornado's, tsuanami's etc. You really don't think too much about them. Until your faced with a threat. And, after, life does go on.

I was more scared of the storms in Paducah, KY then I ever was living in Florida. The storms in KY are sooo scary!!!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:28 PM

Judith what kinda storms in Kentucky ?
Old 04-12-2014, 05:46 PM
yel

i lived down there for 15 years ....and moved back home after becoming a widow .......i worked all over florida lived in central and then to the gulf coast ....and some day i will live on the gulf coast again ...just love it
Old 04-12-2014, 06:00 PM

Dislike: humidity