Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
if you live near the coast of MAINE, i'd like some info please >

if you live near the coast of MAINE, i'd like some info please

if you live near the coast of MAINE, i'd like some info please

Old 08-14-2011, 04:08 PM

I'm from Freeport originally....if you go to Brunswick and go out past Cook's Corner, you'll hit Bailey's Island, Harpswell, Orr's Island etc...they all have great seafood places....ON THE WATER. Look for lobstah boats in Casco Bay and a full parking lot across the street.... You'll know you've found your destination.
You need to have the Lobstah stew while you're there. It's to die for.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 PM

My favorite seafood place to eat is the Clam Bake in Pine Point just north of Old Orchard Beach, a short drive from the airport in Portland, many excellent places to stay on the ocean in that area.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 AM

how far do you intend to travel - Acadia Nat'l Park is certainly a beautiful spot & is about 4+ hrs. north of Portland.

Boothbay is a coastal spot which is a closer destination - about 1 1/2 hr. north of Portland. Many of the restaurants overlook the ocean, you could eat on a wharf or even take a boat ride to Cabbage Island for a lobster/clam bake.

What are you else are you wanting to do - beach? shop? kayak? just relax with a view?

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:15 PM

thank you for all the information. we actually are going mostly for my husband to eat maine lobster. i don't even eat any animals, so i'm just going along for the ride! and some shopping along the way. i actually wouldn't mind hiking that national park, but we'll see. thanx again.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM

I guess it depends which way you intend to go. If you go through Canada you will have to cross Maine to get to the coast. (Plus you go through Toronto and Montreal...love both cities but traffic can be a little crazy). Is beautiful, but see if that is what you wish to do. Worth it, but long. Your other option is to head a little south, then you can hit the southern coast of Maine. Less mountains there and it only takes 1 extra hour. If you go this way there are wonderful places to enjoy Maine. I can recommend Pete's Cove in Ogunquit. It is a beautiful town, hotels near the water, excellent lobster and a quilt shop right on Route 1. I went that way and didn't need to go any further north. Had my Maine experience right then and there.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Camden/ Rockport is also very nice. If you are just going for lobster any of the places mentioned are fine, but there is a whole big state beyond Portland and the coast. If you wait until end of Sept-to middle of Oct. you will be treated to the wonders of fall..... But if it's just for lobster, bring your bib and enjoy!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 PM

Boothbay Harbor is a wonderful working harbor with beautiful shops, restaurants, and places to stay. I recommend the Lobster Dock where you can eat outside and just enjoy those lobsters. Also, must go to Wiscasset to Red's Eats...which is at the bridge right on Rt. 1.
http://www.thelobsterdock.com/
http://www.roadfood.com/reviews/over...spx?refid=2959
There are also many wonderful places to stay right on the Harbor - both sides.
Also, a few quilt shops within comfortable driving distance...one of them is new and right behind Red's Eats. Personal message me if you want more info or pics.