Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I'm Concerned about this Winter >

I'm Concerned about this Winter

I'm Concerned about this Winter

Old 09-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am so sorry for ALL of you. Where I am in So CA, we had 2 weeks of fall and 1 week of winter and it was back to summer again. Poor trees and flowers were really mixed up. Getting real tired of 90 degree weather !!
I don't suppose you have room for a house guest for 3-4 months starting around December 20?!

Jan in VA
Old 09-01-2014, 06:52 PM

I'm afraid we're due for a bad winter -- we have had a couple of years of mild winters and now we live where there is no generator. Hope things aren't too bad.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 PM

We're just hoping to get all the hay cut and baled before it snows! We have a horrible snow storm October 4 last year and as cool as it is getting now we could have snow earlier! I'm prepared -- I have lots of sewing projects ready!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 AM

Here in southern Ontario the trees have been turning for weeks now and the birds are already heading to warmer climates. I love the Fall but winter last year was brutal, my DH has a 2 hour commute to work each way- not looking forward to that. I plan to hunker down and spend the winter in my studio- 2 big projects (a Mariner's Compass and Farmer's Wife) as well as lots of other things to keep me busy.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:52 AM

The Cicadas are singin' away, you can sort of feel the Autumn in the air and yes, we heard that Minnesota is going to be worse than last year. Mercy!!!!!!!!

I get this "thing" in August and September. We call it the squirreling thing! We start collecting food for the freezer or the cupboard for the long cold winters, my sister is in Wisconsin and she is freezing peppers and salsa that she has made. I am waiting for my Sweet Dumpling squash to get ready to pick. I have a "cat pantry" in the basement where it is nice and cool and that is where I keep my squash, potatoes and other veggies I can carry over for part of the winter.

My main problem now is who am I going to get to do my shoveling. My husband was the world's best shoveler and I learned from him to do it right (yes, there is a right way to shovel snow) and no one else can do it like my husband did or I do and I just can't shovel the deep snows anymore. I-2 inches is fine, but heavy wet snow is out of the question. I am kind of looking forward to winter, but not the cold and the snow. I am going to miss my new deck and my rocking chairs out there to sit and sew, but I'll do that inside for five months. I want to do a little traveling before the white stuff comes. Oh yah - I was watching the squirrels in the pin oak on the boulevard and they are stripping the leaves off and picking the acorns off the tree and leaving the shells for us to clean up. Hard on dogs feet. But I am 'specting that they realize that there may be an early winter.

I remember the WINTER OF 1992 (you have to say that with a loud deep voice) when it snowed on Hallowe'en and didn't stop until Easter. We had snow to the top of our clothesline pole. Not a fun winter - but you should have seen all the Hallowe'en candy when all the snow melted!!!!!! That whole winter was sort of reminiscent of Little House on the Prairie when Pa had a rope tied from the house to the barn so they didn't get lost in a Minnesota winter!!!!!!! Well, we all talk like this during September and October - we survive the snow and the shoveling and we say "This is the worst winter we have ever had. I had never in my life (76 years) seen a Luna Moth caterpillar and this year have seen two of them, collected one and it is cocooned out on the porch and as it gets colder, I will put it in the fridge and it should burst from the cocoon this coming Spring.

We will find something on TV like Survivor or something to look forward to that will take us through December, and then the Super Bowl and then seed picking out for Spring plantings and before you know it, we will be there again. All wide-eyed and bushy-tailed because we made it through another winter.

I have a little poem here; I have it tacked to my desk and I just love it:

"I meant to do my work today --
but a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
and a butterfly flitted across the field,
and all the leaves were calling me,
and the wind went sighing over the land,
tossing the grasses to and fro,
and a rainbow held out its shining hand -
so what could I do but laugh and go."
Richard LeGalllienne

So, I guess, we make hay while the sun shines,eh? - High in the upper 80's today...........Edie
Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I don't suppose you have room for a house guest for 3-4 months starting around December 20?!

Jan in VA
Of course. if you don't mine sleeping with my fabric stash that resides in the 2nd bedroom !!! Bring your own bed. And don't be worried if you feel the earth shake under your feet !!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:50 AM

Love the poem Edie and good luck with the winter!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:19 AM

We, too, are seeing our birds migrate through earlier than usual .
Old 09-02-2014, 04:43 AM

I'm back! I just heard something on the TV regarding our summer. We, all summer, have had two days of 90 degrees (no days higher than that in 2014) and we are still above normal in the heat for the summer. Cannot believe that one!!!!!! Not a whole lot of days sitting out in the AM early for a cup of coffee either!!!!

Thank you - I love that poem also. I collect adages, sayings, like "A Hop from Heaven - A Skip from sanity, and a Jump from the good life". Or , get ready for this one! "WINTER EXISTS TO MAKE SPRING FEEL LIKE A MIRACLE."
That's it for the day. Edie
Old 09-02-2014, 05:11 AM

On the other hand, I read online the other day that next summer is supposed to be one of "those" summers where you just can't cool off. (According to the Farmer's Almanac). August in Alabama has been really cool this year, with mostly 90's and only a few days of 102 deg. weather.