Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I'm Concerned about this Winter >

I'm Concerned about this Winter

I'm Concerned about this Winter

Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Suz

Default I'm Concerned about this Winter

Folks, We live in Central PA and all morning I have heard the geese flying over head following the Juniata River wherein it will connect to the Susquehanna River near Harrisburg, as they head to warmer weather for the winter. I have heard we are to have another very cold winter like we did last year. I don't know about you, but I am not ready for the cold weather.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:08 AM

I will never be ready for winter. Why the heck I still live in Illinois is beyond me. I should live where it is never cold.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 AM

Suz, I live in the center of New York State. There have been definite signs of Fall since the middle of July. We may be in for a bad winter. It was cool enough most of August that it felt as though we were cheated out of a full month of summer. Still, would rather experience that than record heat. Mother Natures does what she darned well pleases. Spending a winter behind a sewing machine isn't the worse thing that an happen.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you better start preparing. If you don't have a generator and think you may need one, I'd get one now whether or not on sale. Start stocking up on what you can. I've told my sons to start preparing. My oldest is a hunter and not really a "prepper" but he installed a wood burning stove (with permission from landlord). He grows his many vegetables and he and his girl friend canned quite a bit. Even if you don't can, you can get canned and frozen on sale. Of course he looks forward to winter for deer hunting and whatever else. They have both started checking to make sure they are not losing energy. Winterizing!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 AM

My thought about the summer being cooler is that the jet stream that made the winter being colder was also making the summer cooler. I have heard both another winter like the last one and a warmer winter this year. but can't remember which source was for which prediction right now so its anybody's guess.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

I'm nervous too, when the crickets start coming in in August it's going to be really cold. Zoey already got 2 of them.
The squirrels have been running around with the acorns already. Getting bushy tails early too. It's gonna be a cold winter I think .

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-01-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: implied language
Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

wish we could get a generator. I live in a condo and they won't let us get a generator. Also, all our electrical lines are underground, but that doesn't mean what's connected to us won't freeze and fall down.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I'm in Colorado and I'm not either. I must do the snow shoveling, etc. Not an easy task. Stay warm!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I'm nervous too, when the crickets start coming in in August it's going to be really cold. Zoey already got 2 of them.
The squirrels have been running around with the acorns already. Getting bushy tails early too. It's gonna be a of a cold winter I think .
i have read the same recently. same areas east & midwest hard hit last winter in for repeat this coming winter. out west here, supposed to be normal. but i have noticed the same things in the wild life. my summer birds leaving in mid august, my hummers gone month earlier than usual, we watch the squirrels and run out to rescue the walnuts...this year it's still too early, but when i checked fri morning...tree almost completely stripped. it was 49F @ 5:30a today. it's only sept one and we have end of september temps. i think we are in for a bad winter in pacific northwest also.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-01-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: based on edited quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Evy

Last year we had lots of hummingbirds through October. About 3 weeks ago we counted 30 (I think-they're quick when you try to count) now I rarely see more than one or two a day. I've taken 3 of the 4 feeders down and am about ready to take down the last one. We just moved permanently to southeastern KY from south FL in March. Hope we don't regret it!