I'm going to BOSTON! ! !

Old 10-13-2011, 11:30 AM

Both of my kids went to Boston schools. No cars nec, and nowhere to park anyway. We called Boston drivers massholes. The T takes you everywhere you want to go. More to see than you have time for - and more to eat than you have room for. I hope your son goes to MIT, so you have an excuse to go there often!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Both of my kids went to Boston schools. No cars nec, and nowhere to park anyway. We called Boston drivers massholes. The T takes you everywhere you want to go. More to see than you have time for - and more to eat than you have room for. I hope your son goes to MIT, so you have an excuse to go there often!
i do not want to open a can of worms, but I find that very offensive, "massholes"
Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM

A huge thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I've decided to use the public transportation system. While I think I wouldn't be bothered by the traffic, (Hey! I drive in Houston everyday) I know that parking presents a problem.

I am really looking forward to this as I've never been so far east.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Hope you are having a good time. i love Boston Hope you got to see "CHeers"
Old 10-17-2011, 03:15 PM

Been to Beantown a number of times...the public transportation is very accommodating. If you have a chance and if you love Boston Creme Pie (and who doesn't) go to Parkers Restaurant in the Omni Hotel...They invented it and it is well worth the trouble to go there. It is a high end place, pretty fancy, but it is the BEST Boston Creme Pie you will ever get the chance to enjoy. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
Originally Posted by JoanneS
i do not want to open a can of worms, but I find that very offensive, "massholes"
Can I just point out the irony of finding "massholes" offensive but having a screen name of "fabrichore". or does it mean Fabri-chore?
Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 PM

I love Boston!!! You do not need a car...take the T. I use price line for my hotels...state 4 star and in choose the location. I normally do 60.00 a night for really nice hotels (name your own price). Be sure to pick a location near the water. Make sure to go to the North End...and go to Mike Pastries. Love the North End...
Originally Posted by Leann
My high school Senior and I arrive Sunday, Oct 30 for a 2 day stay while he shadows a student at M.I.T. I have so many questions that I don't know where to start.

Is there public transportation from Logan Int'l?
What hotels are near the airport?
I don't plan to rent a car; should I reconsider?
Aren't Harvard and M.I.T. walking distance apart?
Any other advice?

I suspect that I will be doing LOTS of walking after I wear out my welcome in the admissions office. Anything I should see?

What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks in advance to all my quilty friends.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Lots of good advice here..but the one place the MBTA falls down, IMHO is the trip from the airport to downtown or Cambridge..need to take a bus to one subway, transfer, etc. With luggage. NOT recommended at rush hour. The one place to splurge on a taxi, if you can...

Boston is different even from other East coast cities. We have had guests remark that is seems more European- still lot of VERY narrow streets, cobblestones, etc. It is super walkable, however and full of beautiful things to see everywhere. Also, Bostonians move fast- you do not want to be staring indecisively at a menu board in a coffee shop, for example, if there is a line behind you!

And TOTALLY second the mention of Mike's Pastry, the BEST canolli !!!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 PM

I also recommend taxis...I have never spent much per ride and worth it! If you like to walk its really a wonderful place to walk around,
Old 10-17-2011, 06:34 PM

I live in RI and only go to Boston on the train. Get a taxi from Logan. Do not rent a car- repeat do not rent a car. Parking rates at the hotels run about $40-$50 per day. That's more than you will spend on taxis and the T. Copley square is a great place to go shopping. Also Newberry St. Tons of great places to eat. Take a duck tour if you have time. Or walk the liberty trail.
It's a great place- just not to drive in. I ended up in places the cops don't want to be. And driving to the airport to pick up our daughter, we were looking for the parking garage, missed it and ended up on our way to NH. TWICE!!! Have fun.
Cheryl