Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Improvement - Perfection - Degradation >

Improvement - Perfection - Degradation

Improvement - Perfection - Degradation

Old 05-14-2017, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Default Improvement - Perfection - Degradation

Re: skill levels

I think many of us go through learning curves where we can see major improvement from "where we were" as compared to " where we are now".

Then there is "perfection" - which one can sometimes get quite close to -

Then - for many of us - our physical conditions cause degradation of our motor skills - and we simply are not able to do things at the same levels we once could. Frustrating!

So when evaluating a project ( other than in an exhibition), think of where the person is on the curve.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:56 AM

Sometimes my skill level, [quilting, house cleaning] are great. Other times not so good. As long as I'm happy with the out come, I don't care what other people think. If some one makes a negative comment about my quilting, then I don't show any more of my quilts or crafts.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:39 PM

I agree with Eva Knight - One negative comment from a non-quilter and I don't show her any more quilts.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:15 AM

Hmmmmmmm....can only speak as to how I feel but, for me, I don't want to be graded on the curve at any age or physical condition. As I grow older I'm well aware I can no longer do head flips or cross the parallel bars without sliding off and onto my fanny so I wouldn't even try. But I, also, know that I compete only against myself therefore, only I know how well I did a thing before. If I don't feel I measure up I just try harder or do it a different way the next time. For me, the absolute fun is in the doing of a thing, not what others think or how I measure up to them.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:27 AM

What I make I make for the enjoyment I get out of the process. No one told me when I first started quilting to look at how hard it was to make so my first quilt was a pattern for advanced quilters. It turned out just like the picture so I was so happy with it and so was my DD who i made it for. Then i saw that it was one I should not have started with. To late. So I never looked for that again I just see one i like and make it. What others think I don't care it is my quilt so it is what I think of it that matters.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 PM

I guess some people just can't help themselves; they want to say something but their filter is out of whack that day. A positive comment goes a long way to encourage a new quilter or to someone who has "stepped it up a notch" to try new designs. Then there are some people who can't find it in themselves to make a positive comment. Just do your best and let the negatives roll off your back.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

My Mom used to do cutwork embroidery. She did beautiful work.

I remember how frustrated she seemed when her work got a bit coarser from what she used to be able to do.

It still looked perfect to me - but when I look very carefully at the pieces I can see the difference.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

What would be a better word for "degradation"?

For when one's physical ability is less than it used to be?