Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Info about Amish area in Pennsylvania

Info about Amish area in Pennsylvania

My cousin and I will be visiting in the Lancaster area of PA in April. Any suggestions for quilt shops and are there any flea markets open at that time? Any must see attractions?

Make sure to visit Intercourse. Lots of interesting shops to visit.

Not sure about flea markets if they are open at that time or not, but you could check out Green Dragon flea market and Roots flea market Roots is on Tuesday and Green Dragon is on Friday. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Power Poster
    be sure to do zooks and old country store
    QUILTNMO

Check Burkholders. They have loads of fabric. Sign up on their site and maybe you'll get a coupon for when you will be in Lancaster. Zooks is good, as is The Old Country Store, the Log Cabin and Weavers.
    Gloria 

Also, look for Martins Grocery...not the chain, but this grocery store that has a quilt shop on the second floor...
    its in Something-ville...darn the name is a family one... argh...

And remember, most are closed on Sunday and close around 5... (can't tell you how many times I think of detouring to Zooks, only to do the math and realize they will be closed....sigh...)

Never mind. I googled it.. Morgantown ...the Hayloft is what I was trying to remember, above Martins, but apparently the building was sold and its been shut down...
    Last edited by aliaslaceygreen; 01-01-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Thank you everyone for the info. My cousin and I both knit so I hope we find some knitting shops too. Can't wait to go!!

If you go to this websited you will get lots of info. www.amishnews.com/shopping.htm I love Lancaster shops. Enjoy

April is a beautiful time of year to visit Lancaster. I second the vote for Burkholder's; it's in the middle of nowhere in a cornfield and it's a totally awesome quilt store. The Old Country Store in Intercourse is good too. If you're willing to travel a bit, Lititz is not too far from Lancaster and Wilbur Chocolate and Sturgis Pretzles are both in town, old fashioned factories that do tours.

If you're into Outlet shopping, Lancaster has a bunch all in a couple of strip malls on the eastern side of town. Lancaster County is beautiful; you'll enjoy it! Take care on the roads and watch out for buggies and people passing same.

Wow so much info my husband and I were actually talking about taking a long weekend and going to the Amish community to shop around and relax. Any suggestions on where to stay?