Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: IPad users beware

IPad users beware

I have an iPad Air. Beginning last night, when I'd look up something on Safari, I'd get a message that said something like, "Suspicious activity Might have been detected. Major security issue. To fix it, please call Support for Apple:+1-800-447-8361 (Toll free) immediately." It also said, "O.K." When I clicked on "O.K.",it would not go away. I was suspicious so I went to Apple.com where they listed all support lines, and that wasn't one of them. I called our Apple retail store. They went through a lot of things with me and even had to walk me through how to delete that box. He said that it was someone going "phishing" and I did the right thing by not calling that number.

Clicking on OK could have placed a virus on your pad.....what virus software do you have? Hope this is not a problem for you.

I've gotten that message as well and it kept returning. I just turned off my Ipad for a bit and it was gone.

This is as bad as getting the phone calls from "Microsoft" saying your computer is running slowly.

thanks for the info!!

Thanks for the info. I have android tablet but I got it just to watch TV on it.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My son is an IT---he says non of the computer companies will EVER call you or contact you unless you contact them first

It's rare to get something like that on an Apple product. Thanks for the head's up, I will watch for it on my iPad.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
    I've gotten that message as well and it kept returning. I just turned off my Ipad for a bit and it was gone.

This is as bad as getting the phone calls from "Microsoft" saying your computer is running slowly.
    I know. I still get those. I now tell them, "Really, I don't have a computer." They hang up immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    Clicking on OK could have placed a virus on your pad.....what virus software do you have? Hope this is not a problem for you.
    Never thought of that. Usually, I just click on OK and go about my business. Thanks.

The first time I got this message,( & I have twice now)I was suspicious, but called the phone# just for the heck of it. These are people trying to charge you $49.95 "to fix your IPad" It 's a scam. Apple IPad has very good security. Yes, all you have to do is turn off your IPad & it will go away. I wonder how many people have gotten scammed!