iPad Word Processing

Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 AM

Notability is a great program. You can add the whole web page, a photo, add your own drawn or typed notes and then organize it into folders or journals. I love Evernote too, but it is difficult to clip with the iPad. You have to do a screen photo by clicking the Home button and the Off button at the same time and then emailing it to your Evernote program. Notability may not be free, but worth the small investment. It will also automatically backup to Dropbox.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:02 AM

I use Evernote. As well. ..
Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lynda in TN View Post
I have had my iPad for awhile and have tried several word processing programs...mostly free ones, my favorite word! None of them seem to allow me to do what I want to do. On a laptop I can open an empty page, copy text and pictures somewhere, put it in the empty page, name it, and organize it in a file. Such as, a quilt pattern or recipe...cut, paste, save, put into appropriate file. Can anyone suggest an iPad program that allows me to do this...preferably free (my favorite) or cheap (almost as good!)?

BTW, I rarely post to the board, but read most everything on the email I get daily. You ladies are so very talented and do such wonderful work. I have been in a slump for awhile, but you sure make me want to get back at it! Thanks for sharing!
I use "Pages" which is similar to word and easy to navigate. I think it was about $20. Has a nice letter writing program.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM

This is the reason why my husband and I both view the iPad as more of a toy than an efficient work tool. I do a lot of photo editing and need the power of Photoshop. He's a consultant and creates a folder for each client and stores all work product, email conversations, spreadsheets, presentations, etc for that client in the folder. That way everything is in one spot, easy to find. You can't do that with an iPad. There are various workarounds, but they are all clunky and inefficient. For instance, a co-worker was trying to be helpful and said we could simply use a free, online word processer, such as Google Docs. What if you need to write up a presentation while you're on a plane? What if you don't have internet or cell access where you're at? These are situations my husband runs into very often in his career.

He's now eyeballing the Surface Pro, and the kids are hovering over his shoulder, salivating because they will probably inherit the iPad. Lol.

Last edited by Peckish; 01-13-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 PM

Interesting info. I've been wondering too.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 AM

I did not realize so many others shared this problem. I truly expected there to be one tried and true, great program available. I, too, find the iPad lacking in several ways...even if I am addicted to it. Mine has a cellular feature, so I have Internet access virtually anywhere (that has AT&T phone service!), but even for that, one must choose between AT&T or Verizon when buying the iPad itself. It's a love/hate relationship!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by quiltwiz View Post
Not sure if this will help, but I just add it to my home screen as an app...or take a screen shot (such as recipes) and then always have it in my camera roll. I then make an album for each subject I want to file. Such as Grandkids, Recipes, Christmas Party 2013, etc. I have Evernote but have not learned how to get around in it yet. Might work better than my methods. Hope you find a way that works for you.

I do the same thing!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 AM

I have Dropbox (it's free) on my ipad & pc, and a laptop. anything I D/L goes to dropbox in the ipad, and syncs with my pc & transfers there. I can D/L docs, emb designs, etc and any photos I make with ipad also transfer to pc. Automatically. I can then pull from Dropbox on pc and sort into files to store where I wish. I love it! 2 GB, and you can buy more if needed. Always stored in the cloud acct so if you crash---voila!
BTW, I'm in TN--how can you be in TN, E.GA, and FL at the same time.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 PM

I just got an iPad Air for Christmas. I'm interested in responses, too. I want to take free lessons, too.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:35 PM

I have 2 Ipads. One is personal....one is work-issued. It is my office in every sense of the word. No more paper files at all! There are so many apps that can do pretty much whatever one wants it to do. My work Ipad uses Bluetooth for my order taking scanner. I use Excel (numbers is the program) PDF IT ALL, Simple Resizer to resize photos for posting to QB, Scanner app., etc. I can attach multiple photos to an email thanks to the IOS 7.0.4 upgrade...i take the minutes via Ipad then I just "send" them to the Board. Screen shots, etc. I RARELY use my laptop....I don't need it these days. I sync my apps between my two Ipads and my Iphone. Calendars, Dropbox, and on and on.....

sandy