Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Irish mantle clock

Irish mantle clock

I know we have some wonderful quilters from Ireland here on our board so I am hoping that someone can tell me something about a wooden mantle clock with something like a Celtic knot on it. I have a daughter-in-law that refuses to have a clock in her living room !! It drives most of us crazy, including my son, that she won't allow a clock on the fire place. We were hoping if we could find a nice clock, it could be a heirloom for their family as she and my son both of Irish decent. I have looked online but they are all very small. Looking for something about 12" wide and about 8" high. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know from looking so far that they are quite expensive. One actually from Ireland or someone in the USA that has one for sale would be a great Christmas gift for my daughter-in-law.

Sorry, I don't have any information for you but I am curious as to why your DIL does not want a clock in the living room.?

Quote Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
    Sorry, I don't have any information for you but I am curious as to why your DIL does not want a clock in the living room.?
    Neither do I. The clock you describe sounds very nice but wonder why her not wanting a clock in the living room bothers anyone. I never have had a clock in my living room and have never thought of getting one. Only clock I've seen in anyone's living room was the tall grandfather clock that my cousin has in hers.

Power Poster
    I do have a nice clock on my mantle but they are not for everyone. My MIL had a cuckoo clock that drove me up the wall. I also cannot stand a ticking clock when trying to sleep. I don't purchase decorative object for my DIL because we have different tastes. Frankly her taste and eye are better than mine.

Lots of younger folks don't like mantel clocks...they are noisy, require winding every week and if it is an original (antique) then they look ugly to some. I have several antique clocks, but don't have them all running because it does get annoying, and one was so loud when it chimed it would wake up our guests upstairs.

I say respect your DILs wishes and let your son and her work that clock thing out on their own.

There's a clock store in Lake Placid, NY and the guy there is REALLY knowledgeable. You can get their phone # off the internet...maybe they can help.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Man who argue with wife all day get no piece at night.

Are you trying to start a fight with you DIL? Please respect her wishes. Give her a gift card from a nice shop.

Blog Entries
    try searching Yahoo images for Mantel Clock from Ireland. you might find something that way.

Blog Entries
    I totally agree!! Her house, her decision! You can have the most beautiful clock in your own living room!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
    Are you trying to start a fight with you DIL? Please respect her wishes. Give her a gift card from a nice shop.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

i would leave it alone. i guess i dont have a clock in my living room either.
    never really thought about it much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast