Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ironing vinyl?

I bought some tablecloth vinyl at Hancock's and it was folded and buried underneath all the other vinyl remnants so there's quite a few unsightly creases. Obviously I can't really iron them out because the heat will melt the vinyl. How would I go about getting those wrinkles out?

I bought some cheap fuzzy-something backed plastic table cloths that were so wrinkled when I got the package open, it was pathetic! I threw them in the dryer with a wet towel for 5 minutes or so in the wrinkle release cycle, and then laid them flat on the floor till they cooled down and folded them the way I wanted them to be. They were cheap and they look cheap.

Power Poster
    I don't know - I'm really adamant when I buy vinyl that it be rolled and not folded when I buy it. Sometimes the clerks give me the beady-eye, but hey - it's my dime.

Maybe hang it over a bar in the hot sun? Might minimize them a little.

Blog Entries
    Maybe lay it on the ironing board with a cotton terry towel on top of it...start with a lower setting and cautiously try warming it up to take out the wrinkles... raising the temp a little at at time til you find the right setting???

I have actually ironed vinyl and I did it exactly the way Amma suggested except I used a pillowcase as a pressing cloth. It worked well. Just be careful when raising the temp.

Good information.