Itchy Bug Bites

Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Question Itchy Bug Bites

Does anyone know a fool-proof way to keep bugs from biting when you're outside? I've tried Off, Cutter's, Skin-So-Soft, dryer sheets, fans and nearly everything else anyone has suggested over many years, to absolutely no avail. I am very allergic to all kinds of bug bites and, of course, the little creatures love me. I am already covered in welts and itch all day long from no-see-em bites I got while I was cutting the grass the other day. The doctor can give me pills for the reaction, but then I can't function. I am hoping someone on this wonderful board will know how to stop/prevent these critters from menacing me this summer, or at least how to stop the itching without having to take drugs.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Have you tried those bug repellent things that hang on your belt...can't recall what they are called, but heard they work.
Maybe someone else know what I am talking about.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 PM

That's awful, I'm so sorry you're suffering. Bactene seems to help with the itching. As for repeling the bugs, someone once told me to add more fresh garlic in my diet, Supposedly it makes you not smell so good the to the bugs. Not sure how true it is, but we eat lots of garlic and don't usually get many bites during the summer.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM

I take garlique every day and it keeps them from biting me. I have heard about giving garlic to dogs i think you have to keep it up not just once in a while.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 PM

You might try an oatmeal bath with cool to warm water. Hot water will make the bites itch more. Good luck. Hope you can find a solution other than medications.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:10 PM

Burts Bees -- The herbal fragrances you love can ward off the buzzing pests you hate. Our natural blend of Rosemary, Lemongrass, Citronella Oil and other essential oils can form a scented force field between you and those biting and stinging party crashers. Talk about a bug repellent double-whammy!

• Wards off bugs with blend of Rosemary, Lemongrass, Citronella Oil and other essential oils
• Refreshing herbal scent

Haven't tried it but it sounds like it would at least smell good.

Here's another option:

Citronella plants, the official name is Citrosa Geranium. They work well against all sorts of bugs and flies.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by bignan 1935 View Post
I have heard about giving garlic to dogs i think you have to keep it up not just once in a while.
Oooh, I hope you meant NOT giving garlic to dogs. My vet told me garlic and onions are toxic to dogs.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 PM

to stop the itch you may want to put a cup of baking soda in a bath and soak for a little bit....
Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
Have you tried those bug repellent things that hang on your belt...can't recall what they are called, but heard they work.
Maybe someone else know what I am talking about.
here's a link to the product http://www.off.com/ClipOn.aspx
i, too, have heard that it really works
Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 AM

rose geranium essential oil or lavender essential oil applied sparingly works fairly well too.