Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: itchy dog

Blog Entries
    Chicken is a very common food allergy in dogs. Check all your treats and the fine print on your food to see what is in it. I've been feeding my dog the same food for 2 years and suddenly she is itching all the time. She's on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream---Grain free. Not sure what I'm going to try her on now.

My dog has the itchies. When I took him to the vet.. it was allergies to the grass in the back yard! Vet gave him a steriod shot, but that didn't last long. I finally got Hartz skin care hydrocortisone spray for cats. Since it was for cats, I didn't have to worry about him licking at it. Now when he starts to 'rub' himself on the floor, LOL, we grab the bottle and he will through himself down, belly up and let us spray him. He looks so funny..on his back with legs up in the air. He is a Rat Terrior(yep, I spelled that right, LOL) so that is a lot of long legs.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

Bathe mine in Avons, skin so soft, and it helped!
    Country 1

I have two cats that is like that, to the point of pulling their hair out and one chews his hair to the skin. Looks like someone shaved him in spots. Skin looks healthy, I have changed treats, and food. Next step will be to take them to the Vet., just been trying everything else first.

My Daughter has two Labs, one very sensitive, she gives them fish oil and their skin and coats are beautiful and shiny.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    We also just adopted a dog. She is a very nice dog but same problem with itching. No fleas and on benydryl. Vet told us if Benydryl didnt work to try half a tablet of claritin. If that didnt work try another allergy med. So far no luck. Wondering if she has yeast. Her skin is red and flaky too.

Blog Entries
    We use Purina One Chicken and Rice but may try Lamb and rice. She seems to be getting worse.

So many of you with itching pups! And so many of them adopted. Thank you! Thank you! Thanks for adopting. Thanks for opening your hearts. Thanks for not giving up as soon as a problem shows up. They fill a place in your hearts that can be filled no other way!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

You are so right about filling the heart - My avatar is the love of my life that passed away from cancer about a year ago. Never thought I'd want another dog but after adopting our new guy it feels like my heart is finally healing. Now if I can just get the itching under control!

Quote Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
    So many of you with itching pups! And so many of them adopted. Thank you! Thank you! Thanks for adopting. Thanks for opening your hearts. Thanks for not giving up as soon as a problem shows up. They fill a place in your hearts that can be filled no other way!

With Skin So Soft -- do you buy the bath oil or the shower gel? Thanks!

I have an Irish Setter that started this cycle in August, took him to the vet and like you no fleas or mites. Put him on a glutten free diet and gave him salmon oil daily still itching. I read that Irish Setters are prone to thyroid problems so after 2 months of vet visits I insisted on a blood test for thyroid disease. Yes he has a thyroid problem, have him on a thyroid drug (took two tries to get the right dose) and skin problem has cleared up and no more itching. Your vet will probably not want to do the test but insist on it (not that expensive). Look up thyroid disease in dogs this is a real problem that can be fixed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast