Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! >

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 AM

I will betaking down Thanksgiving decorations the same day I put up Christmas decorations.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:22 AM

Have finished all gift shopping, made quite a few presents, even bought the gammon joint and put in freezer. Always make cake and puds in October. Put the decs up mid December. Made lots of Xmas bunting this year. We will have 6here for Xmas day and just 3 for Boxing Day. Our eldest grandson is in the army(Royal Engineers), he will be home from Kenya. Great joy.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
I realize that this probably sounds Scroogy, but it's getting harder and harder each year for me to get excited about Christmas, seeing that it seem's like the merchandise for it is showing up earlier and earlier each year.
I'm with you. A week before Halloween I needed a bag of potting soil and our local WM was full of Christmas decorations including a 1/2 decorated tree. I've been boycotting the commercialized Christmas for the last 25 yrs. We all get together just like we do for Thanksgiving and have a great day of enjoying each others company.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Nope, Thanksgiving has still to be celebrated!
i am with you, no Christmas until after Thanksgiving. I want to say thank you for my blessings before the crazy at Christmas comes.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

No Christmas stuff up yet here. After Thanksgiving. We have so much to be thankful for!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
I realize that this probably sounds Scroogy, but it's getting harder and harder each year for me to get excited about Christmas, seeing that it seem's like the merchandise for it is showing up earlier and earlier each year.
I know how you feel. I am not able to spend what I used to on gifts for people and it's hard seeing all the ads on TV and the sales flyers. It's just to much focus on materialism. No one in the family wants handmade gifts. Too bad. Today I was looking at a Christmas Holiday book and got some ideas on gifts I can afford to make. The last few years, it has been more important for me to celebrate with friends and family than gift giving. I don't even want any gifts because the things I need are too expensive (like a newer car, a better sewing machine, money for fabric...etc.) I finally read Charles Dicken's Christmas Carol and realized that he got it right!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
No one here but me and DH now. I put up a small tree 4 feet on a table at the living room window. DH likes the running lights to out line the walk and around the front door and a wreath up. That's about it. Rarely buy gifts now, they all want money, so it's mostly money or gift cards of their favorite places... We still love Christmas... Christ is the reason for the season at our house...
Just me here but want to put up a real tree, our son planted some about 18 years ago. It will be a memory tree in his honor and for my DH. I have white LED lights on my dog yard out front and will put them on a timer Friday. Am keeping the reason for the season, no gifts for years now, just together with siblings.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:25 PM

We are setting the tree up on Thanksgiving! It's just the 3 of us having dinner...so it's a decorating Thanksgiving. My son is so excited! Also spent this morning shopping on-line for several gifts. Made a big order from Lego! And...the big thing we are doing is getting our plans for our trip together. We are driving (from California) to Seattle and stopping to see friends in Portland. So coordinating visiting friends, two sides of the family, plus fun activities like visiting Seattle Center, making hotel reservations, etc... It's coming together! I finally printed out a 'paper calendar' of just December so I could write it all down!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:07 PM

I hosted 20+ people from DH family today for Thanksgiving and will be having my dad/step-mom (in their mid-80s) on Thanksgiving Day along with my son and VERY pregnant DIL (due this week). We have been in our new home for three weeks and had our youngest daughter's wedding just two weeks ago. I have not started Christmas shopping yet but I am looking forward to decorating. I plan to decorate on Fri. I have already been listening to Christmas music but I haven't watched any of my favorite holiday movies yet.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:55 PM

Christmas is just another day for us. family is scattered all over the country. I suffer from depression and I some times wish I could just go to sleep after Halloween and not wake up until mid January. It was different when my family were close.