Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I've been attacked with a case of grumpy-itis >

I've been attacked with a case of grumpy-itis

I've been attacked with a case of grumpy-itis

Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 AM

Well, we can't be in a good mood all the time. When I was working, usually knew when I was in a "bad" mood. First thing I said to co-workers was "Having a grouchy day. Not you, but me." This caught on with other workers. One lady in particular was on a continued grouch. My first words to her were "can I talk with you today". After a while, she was in a cheerful mood more often. Be up front if this continues, It's ok.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:16 AM

I do have code words for my co-workers when I know I'm in a bad mood. I say "Super B***h has come to work today, I'll be down in the basement until she's under control."

But these moods have been so sudden. Like this morning my husband tapped me on the shoulder to get me to move over so he could grab a cup in the kitchen. It wasn't anything, but I'm yelling at him about shoving me. He said, "I didn't shove you, I tapped you." And I'm all angry until I realized he didn't shove me and he was right. In the mornings we tend to be non-verbal because we haven't really woken up yet.

Can you get an anti-depressant for peri-menapausal symptoms?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Perhaps it is time for a major change in your life and your mind and body are trying to tell you that.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 AM

o.k. I am confused, I had a hysterectamy at age 33 I am know 46, my doctor at the time told me I was going to go into early menopause due to the hysterectamy,,,
Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Regular exercise helps. Two miles on the treadmill (about 45 minutes) really makes a difference for me, but I have to do it at least every other day. Usually feel a difference the next day.

A mild anti-depressant helps a lot too.

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

You say you have your 'hormone levels' checked each year, but the ones they are checking for are usually limited to just ovarian ones (FSH). We also have a thyroid, pituitary, adrenals, and who knows what else, producing hormones.

I am firmly convinced more than a couple of these get out of whack during perimenopause....and what is normal for you may not be for the next woman. Symptoms such as yours are all too often common during this stage of a woman's life. And in some countries this is a defense in criminal cases!

I suffered terribly with perimenopause symptoms for nearly a decade, which is unusually long, so feel I'm a tiny bit qualified to speak about what helped me. I had a hysterectomy at age 40 following a year of horrifically heavy periods that left me unable to leave the house for 2 days every month. It looked like someone had been murdered in my bathroom or bed sometimes. I was on 'replacement therapy' for about 2 years when I took myself off them over personal concerns about their safety.

Eventually, after nearly destroying my marriage and after standing in the walk-in closet with a loaded gun in my hand, I finally got to a doctor who started me on Effexor XR as mentioned above. That was a good improvement, but not a cure-all. Still didn't like my distant, uncaring, and misunderstanding DH, but soon felt better about myself and calmer.

I learned about self-guided imagery and a technique called EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), and used them regularly. (http://www.emofree.com/)

I had my thyroid checked (normal).

I allowed myself 'time off' to do nothing but read and nap on days I really needed that, without having to make excuses or explain myself.

I hope you will also find your own way on this journey, but give some thought to trying some of the things you've read in these posts.

Best to you from tose who've been there!

Jan in VA

I went to my doctor and when she asked if everything was all right - I started crying... (NOTE: I am not a cryer)

So - I asked for anti-bit**y pills. She gave me a mild anti-depressant - and all is well again in my world.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 AM

Maybe you are lacking in something your body needs. Try Vitamin B , helps with stress.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 AM

Ditto !! I try to stay away from people because 99% of them aggrivate me. I cry at the commercials on TV, and have also had a problem crying for no reason at my last Dr.s appt. I was embarassed and he didn't know what to do. Being that he's a Cardiologist, he said I needed to go to an OBGYN and talk to them about a solution. I haven't yet, but know I need help. I feel angry most of the time and just try to spend time alone as much as I can. Guess it's time to make an appt. maybe this is fixable!! I already take an anti depressant for stress, maybe I need a vacation. I have taken care of my inlaws for over 11 years now, seems like I should be use to it !!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM

Before taking anti-depressants, ask your doctor for a thyroid check. Can't hurt.