Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
January 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize. >

January 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize.

January 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a prize.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM

I didn't do too badly over the weekend. Had a class on Saturday, took a protein drink and graham crackers (low fat). Did have a couple of cookies, though. Had shrimp and pasta for dinner so that was probably putting me over for the day. Sunday has a simple breakfast before church because we go out to eat after church and I had a small omelet. DIdn't have anything else until dinner when I fixed beef tips and noodles with veggies and a salad. As I look at this, I think I need to cut down/out the carbs - will work on that.
Cindy, being born and raised in the south, we eat lots of seafood - shrimp included. I agree with CHQ, steam them and use lemon (if you're eating them alone). If you are putting them in a dish, I peel them first (it's miserable on your hands) and put them in very close to the end of cooking so they don't overcook.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM

MY favorite way to cook shrimp is to put cooking spray in the pan and stir fry them with some garlic until cooked. At the very end I put just a tiny bit of butter or butter spray on the shrimp with a little lemon juice. If I have it in the garden I add some parsley and chives. MMMM! I could eat a whole pound myself. Since we are in Ohio seafood is expensive so we don't get it often. We had a roast yesterday so I will make something out of the leftovers today. My DH and DS have requested beef stroganoff. I guess I will see what I am in the mood for in a couple of hours when it is time to cook.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM

I'm having a Turkey meatloaf sandwich with the meatloaf my DH made yesterday. Did a pretty good job without a recipe. Then, will probably have roasted cauliflower with it and tomato slices.

Has anyone worked with the Martelli binding system? Just wondering if it is any good.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Turkey meatloaf sounds good! I add green chilies to mine. I don't know what I'm having. I have to thaw a chicken for the dogs - maybe I'll use grill the white meat for me.

I also need to walk the aforementioned dogs. It's 9 degrees with a 7 below wind chill, so I won't be going to the woods and letting Cheech and Chong off lead. To much time with the gloves off.

I just did the Sit and be Fit exercises on PBS. I fall out of doing them so easily because 2:30 isn't a great time for me, but I need to plan my day with no excuses - except Friday when I drive a friend home from dialysis.

I am losing weight and getting healthier, even if I only have lost a pound so far this month. Hey, at least I didn't gain one.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM

Greetings from sunny Florida! Actually it is cloudy today but I will take the 74 degrees over the -2 they are having back home in Wisconsin. We went to the flea market this morning and stocked up on all kinds of fresh fruits and veggies. We need to get out to the back yard and pick some oranges before it gets dark so we can have fresh juice for breakfast. My mom got Guest passes for my sister and me so we can use the fitness room. It should be a good week if we don't get lazy.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM

keep the positive attitude! I forgot about sit and be fit -- think I will start. it's at 11 AM here. My favorite spot in the whole USA is Pentwater, MI. Went there every summer as a child and whenever anyone says to close your eyes and think of someplace pleasant - that is it!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM

Taboo Tuesday this week is early (it's Monday night) - and it isn't even a taboo this week, but an "ADD". When you exercise, add one or two extra repititions. If you do 5 push ups, try to do 6 or 7. If you walk the dogs for 30 minutes, try for 40 (except in 7degree frigid weather). If you can, walk in place while watching the news or your favorite program. I do aqua arthritis aerobics and walk in the water for 10 minutes, today I tried for 15. It's not always easy to add that extra, but think of the calories you're burning and maybe that'll get you going.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM

I spent a week in Pentwater several times at the church elementary camp, first as a counselor and then as the craft director. It was a lovely place with some interesting experiences.

My favorite place in the USA has to be Sedona, AZ. The last time I was there one of my daughters said she could see me living there with my long hippie skirts and Stetson hat. I said, "No, because my five children are in Michigan". Cadillac isn't shabby - lakes, trees, parks, etc so I can't complain. The high tomorrow will be 2 degrees with wind chill in the negative teens. I'll have put an extra layer on my bottom half when we go out. Vanogay, we did 35 minutes today, but I won't be adding on until the weather is a little warmer. Next week will back to the 20s.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vanogay View Post
Taboo Tuesday this week is early (it's Monday night) - and it isn't even a taboo this week, but an "ADD". When you exercise, add one or two extra repititions. If you do 5 push ups, try to do 6 or 7. If you walk the dogs for 30 minutes, try for 40 (except in 7degree frigid weather). If you can, walk in place while watching the news or your favorite program. I do aqua arthritis aerobics and walk in the water for 10 minutes, today I tried for 15. It's not always easy to add that extra, but think of the calories you're burning and maybe that'll get you going.
I think we need to come up with another name for our "TABOO TUESDAY" one that can go either way.....a taboo or an encouragement. Any one got any ideas???
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM

just checking in, and reading all the news. i've had 2 different sets of company, and then a DD was a back in state, because she/they lost her FIL. sad, busy time. and like cindy and mean, i did a mystery quilt. almost done with the top of the 2nd one just like it. loved using up my scraps. not that they were scraps, just my scrubs material that was bought in odd cut out sizes/pieces from the factory.
i've blown it completely this month. still hanging on to the 5 lbs from xmas. hang in there ladies. like cindy, i'm down a good amount. just want to hang on to it, and ease on down some more. yeap, health issues, make you gain wt. i had been sick for a couple years, one thing or another. come to find out, alllergies to shell fish. so no shrimp for me anymore. so, egg and shell fish allergies. but it finally got nailed down. so i could start feeling better, and start losing wt.