Japanese Beetles vs. roses

Old 08-10-2012, 07:36 AM

My mom used to spray soapy water on her roses. Employee at a yard & garden shop told me to use Neem oil, apparently it's considered safe and organic?? Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 AM

I have japanese beetle problems too. They will eat thru a rose bud that didn't even get a chance to open!! My dh goes out there and knocks the bugs off into water and some solution. I on the other hand as soon as the bud begins to open I cut it and bring it in and then I get to enjoy it and NOT the bugs.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM

I spray my roses with bleach water. I had about 1/2 cup to a cup of bleach in a spray bottle of water and it works pretty good
Old 08-11-2012, 04:44 AM

The japanese beetles are really bad this year. They are eating the roses and even there buds. I just got some roses powder and will be putting it on today. Had tries rose spray, but didn't have much luck with it. Sure hope the powder works. I have been cutting my roses as soon as they open . But some times that is not even fast enough.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:31 AM

I haven't had trouble with beetles. I did have to move my rose bush last year. My neighbor planted a walnut tree several years after I planted the rose bush. Walnut trees create a toxin that kills other plants. The rose was in it's drip line and not doing well. I wasn't sure if my 30 year old rose would transplant well but it is surviving. It had 3 small flowers on it this year. It acts like a brand new bush and not a 30 year old bush.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:55 AM

dawn dish soap mixed with water in a YELLOW container will attract these buggers and they will drown.......hint from a "green" gardener I know......I guess I want to know why all of a sudden we all are being attacked by these things.........Last year I used a product from Bayer...it was systemic, so it went into the ground and killed the larvae and it seemed to work...saved my rose of sharon this year.......
Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 AM

get one of those bag to catch the beetles and never let them out.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 AM

get one of those bags to catch the beetles and never let them out. I think you can get them at a nursery
Old 08-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry to hear about your Japanese Beetles attacking your roses. I had a similar problem and the darn things ate the rose buds before they could open and they also ate the leaves. I'm afraid your rose bushes may not come back unless you can get rid of the beetles before they eat all your leaves. The only thing worse than Japanese beetles eating your beautiful roses is having your dog eat them. LOL I am serious about this, apparently the thorns didn't present a problem for Tara (should have named her Terror). Good luck with your roses.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 AM

The roses should survive just fine, with just canes/stems BUT you should remove the rose hips, as they draw nutrients from the plant. Trim the canes/stems way back, to just above a node (this is where it'll send out new branches). Cut at an angle, so that the rain runs off. Trimming the bushes way back, will ease the stress of nurturing a larger plant. This will give them a better chance to recover, once the beetles are under control.