Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!! >

July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!!

July 2012 Weight loss adventure with a prize!!!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:52 AM

Pam H. Thanks for the zucchini recipes. I have it grated ready to make the cakes tonight. The joke is that in ND the only time you lock your car or house, is zucchini time. I only have 3 plants but they are growing like crazy. Evidently the rabbits don't like it because it has been left alone.

Just read an article in "spry" regarding Bob Harper, one of the biggest loser trainers. One of the things that he stresses is "no carbs after lunch". I have been pretty good about that for the last year. I can tell it has made a difference. It was a good article.

A decision has to be made regarding placing Mom permanently in the memory unit. We (DH, DD and I) fly to AZ a week from now, then after getting back from there driving to MI to visit DH's family and look at property to purchase. My thoughts are that Mom will have almost 3 weeks to get adjusted and I will be gone so that I can't rescue. Hard decision and I'm the only one who can make it final. Hate to be in this place. Please say some prayers for guidance.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Everose that is such a hard decision to make. You have to think of what is best for you which is so hard. We have all been so programmed to think of everyone else all the time instead of yourself. We are getting close to this with my dad. He is 88 and mom is still alive and so far they are ok but not sure how much longer it will last. My dad is slipping fast. I wil pray for you. Don't let other family members influence your decision as you are the one living it 24/7. Good luck. Enjoy your break. It is a good way to test how it works out. I helped with my FIL while we made this decision and it is an exhausting job. I only had him here for a week and my SIl had him for 2 weeks while we worked on a place for him.
I am thinking about making the zucchini cakes for dinner. My DH has been asking for meatloaf for a week with baked potatoes. I promised it to him tonight. Not sure how he would react to zucchini cakes instead of baked potatoes.I have a couple of hours to think about it. Well back to work. My DS will be home from Japan next week, I haven't seen him in 1 1/2 years. I guess I better get my quilting stuff out of the guest room. The bed and floor in there have become my design wall. He will be here a month and his wife will be here a week. He wants all of his favorites while he is here. Scale watch out, it will be bad.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 AM

I sometimes put my excess zucchini in the blender and liquify it and use it instead of water in homemade bread and substitute it for some of the broth in soup. It freezes very well this way. The bread comes out a really pretty yellow color like egg bread. I figure it is another way to sneak in some vegetables.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Welcome back Beachbound. Yes moving is a pain but usually worth it in the end. My DH is talking of moving to a smaller place with more land. I don't even want to think about moving again. The last 2 times we moved he didn't help at all with the packing and unpacking except to tell me how to do it. We have a 6 bedroom house and only have 1 kid left at home. My DD is in college so I don't know if she will be back or not. Pam the zucchini cakes sound delicious. We have 5 medium sized zucchini in the refrig right now.
My DD talked me into making her a chocolate praline cake for her bday. It is my favorite. My DH saved me from eating more of it by dropping the leftovers on the floor. I did consider eating it anyway but I convinced myself that it would be wrong and quickly threw it away before I changed my mind.

Just kidding...... but I would have considered the 5 sec. rule..LOL LOL LOL
Old 07-20-2012, 06:32 PM

Pam I did consider eating it. It was the last piece. I think there are 30 WW points in a piece of the cake. Before I could change my mind I quickly threw it in the sink and ran water over it.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 PM

Proud of you for doing that!!!!!!!!!!!! But sometimes you just have to have a treat. I use to take one day a week and eat what I wanted. It was usually after weigh in... I figured.....just how much can one person eat from 6 pm until bedtime... well a lot sometimes. But then I was good to go til the next Thursday. Good Luck and have a good rest of the week.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:38 AM
mim

I love zucchini pie -- it was the in thing several years ago and I just made it -- we have 2 plants and share with neighbors. If you use low fat cheese there would be very few calories and the flavors are terriffic

Mim
Old 07-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Pam I did consider eating it. It was the last piece. I think there are 30 WW points in a piece of the cake. Before I could change my mind I quickly threw it in the sink and ran water over it.
smart, smart girl!!!! You did give me a flashback to an old Friends where Chandler, Rachael & Joey ate the cheesecake off the floor in the hall.

Pam the faux crab cakes sounds delish....okay, I know you didn't call them that but if I think I'm eating crab...I'm happy
Old 07-21-2012, 07:02 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350540[/ATTACH]Pam H. The zucchini cakes were great. I fixed the first 3 regular and then I couldn't wait that long - put the rest of the batter in the pan and cooked it like an omelet. Something I will definely do again. Also like the idea of putting it in a blender and freezing it to use instead of water. Great ideas.

Well the hard decision has been made - Mom will go to the memory unit. Have I told her - NO. How do you tell someone that they won't be living with you any more. I guess I need some guidance on this.

I finished a doll quilt for my cousin tonight. Her mother has given her an antique doll cradle and she wanted a blanket to go in it. I really like the way it turned out - even taking in the mistake. But we learn from those. Now I'm going to make a pillow and pillow case for it and send it in the mail on Tues. Will I do another braided quilt = maybe not real soon. Lots of putzy sewing.
Attached Thumbnails candys-doll-quilt-001.jpg  
Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 PM

Everose, I know it was a tough decision to make but I think you made the right one. It will all work out eventually. The mistake in your baby quilt doesn't show up on my computer screen.
Mmmm I forgot about zucchini pie. I must make that this week. And the cakes. I haven't tried those yet.
Amber got moved today. Tomorrow I will be there all day helping unpack and getting things organized. I'm sure she will be happy to have her hubby here. My grandchild is now 2" long!
I did a mystery quilt class today. It was fun. There are hundreds of ways to arrange your blocks. I'm thinking mine will be in a chevron pattern. I do love my zig zags! I really, really, really want to work on it but we are watching a movie. A really stupid movie called Paul.